it doesn't matter...

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

rivers

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
i went diving today, with a good size group of people (i think 9 of us in total). all of us were at a different experience level (brand new diver to assistant instructor, single tank to twinset to rebreather) from a variety of different agencies (gue, padi, bsac, saa). thing is, it didn't matter our level of experience or what agency we trained or didn't train with. what mattered was we were all psychotic enough to go to wraysbury and freeze our asses off in 4*c water. and i think we all had a fairly decent day, despite suit and glove leaks. some skills practice may have been cocked up, hands may have lost feeling, but it was fun. and we all enjoyed a couple of pints after in the pub. stories and experiences were shared, and many laughs were had. It didn't matter that there were 30+ years age difference between the youngest and oldest divers in the group, some people knew each other, others didn't. it was the camaraderie that was there. New friendships and buddy pairs/groups were forged. This is what a day of diving should be like.

That's what I love most about the diving community. Despite what we may say and act like on the internet, when we get together everyone is accepted as long as they're not a total douche. Even from day one for me, divers of all ages, experience levels, etc welcomed me into the group and I just plain love that. This is one of the closest communities I've ever found.

i went diving today, with a good size group of people (i think 9 of us in total). all of us were at a different experience level (brand new diver to assistant instructor, single tank to twinset to rebreather) from a variety of different agencies (gue, padi, bsac, saa). thing is, it didn't matter our level of experience or what agency we trained or didn't train with. what mattered was we were all psychotic enough to go to wraysbury and freeze our asses off in 4*c water. and i think we all had a fairly decent day, despite suit and glove leaks. some skills practice may have been cocked up, hands may have lost feeling, but it was fun. and we all enjoyed a couple of pints after in the pub. stories and experiences were shared, and many laughs were had. It didn't matter that there were 30+ years age difference between the youngest and oldest divers in the group, some people knew each other, others didn't. it was the camaraderie that was there. New friendships and buddy pairs/groups were forged. This is what a day of diving should be like.
What it should be like and in my experience how it usually IS like.
The whole pro/n00b, dir/youre gonna die, padi/gue/bsac/tdi/sdi/etc. is much more prevalent in discussions here on the internet than IRL as far as Ive seen (it IS there IRL as well to some), and I find that to be a good thing :)

This, for me, is what diving is all about.

Myself and my partner (and buddy) regularly dive with a group of local divers, all different ages, and all trained by different agencies - but we all share the same enthusiasm and passion for our sport.

Our last dive was four of us on Hogmany, 2 degrees on shore and 8 degrees in the water - it was dark (more like a night dive!), viz around 3m and 34 minutes long, but still a great dive with a great bunch of people. Couldn't ask for more.....well maybe a bit warmer, but December in Scotland you can't expect it to be nice and warm :wink:

Elaine

Yep - and that tends to be what BSAC club diving in the UK is like - at least in my experience. I trained with CMAS but dive with BSAC because this is what the 'club scene' offers.

Our club ran a photo course then dived Vobster last weekend and then dove at Stoney Cove this weekend. Both in 4 degrees (c) or so of water and snow at Vobster.

Good fun ! - P

I will tell you being 40 years old and a newly certified diver one of my favorite memories from this weekends dive was talking to the sweetest twelve year old girl talk about her diving experiences. This was my first dive boat expereince and everyone was extremely friendly. The boat was packed with 40 divers people were bumping in to each other and not a single rude word spoke just a simple "sorry about that." Can't say I have been anywhere where everyone was so polite.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom