It could have been pretty bad...

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

mikerault:
..snip..
Also, this group doesn't use valve covers on the tanks, they just put a piece of masking tape over the opening when the tank is full. On one dive, I pulled my reg off a tank and they hadn't removed the tape when they had mounted it...
..snip..

Without wishing to defend the operator in any way...
The use of masking tape is pretty standard around the world as an indicator of a full tank. I personally prefer it as the result is more predictable. On the few times I've been on a dive boat that uses valve covers I've occasionally had an empty tank due to the bad habit of some divers of putting the cap back after dismounting after their first dive.

mikerault:
..snip..
After the incident I noticed nearly half of their rental SPGs showed evidence of past flooding (rusted needles, mater marking inside the gage, discoloraitons of the gage faces).
..snip..
Water inside an SPG will not affect its operation in any way. Normal SPG construction is just a spiral tube which expands when pressurized internally causing rotation of a pointer. Simple and rugged. It either works or it doesn't and the rest is just aesthetics.
Repair is not economical.

mikerault:
..snip..
Given the lack of use dust covers when the regs weren't on tanks and the use of masking tape the primary stage was probably partially blocked with salt crystals and/or pieces of tape and this caused the cut-off of air at depth and the varying pressure readings.
..snip..
I doubt if a piece of masking tape would get through the air inlet filter on the 1st stage and I can't really imagine a salt crystal formation that would stop 3000psi.
As was already commented the probable cause of lack of air was a closed valve.

mikerault:
..snip..
Later I witnessed DMs from the same shop removing the rental rigs and leaving them on deck with their dust caps off exposed to the spash and such caused by the moving boat.
..snip..
If the rigs are in constant use this is not likely to have much effect. The air inlet filter may get dampened but on the next dive will be dried by the passing air.

gangrel441:
If divers are going to dive, they need to get certified. Too many things can go wrong to be able to cover it by making students watch a video, jump in a pool once, then go out on a reef. I have never been a fan of this approach, and your story is a great example of why. Taking severely undertrained and uncertified divers out on an open water dive, OTOH, is crazy risky.

You are right, it is risky. But, if it weren't for this brand of "Discovery Scuba" thing a lot of people, including myself, would not be diving at all. I know my resort course definitely stressed (over and over and over) the simple safety things like not holding your breath, and the DMs were very attentive and professional, so the risks were somewhat minimized.

All in all, I think it comes down to the professionalism of the operation and the competency of the DMs....

Water inside an SPG will not affect its operation in any way. Normal SPG construction is just a spiral tube which expands when pressurized internally causing rotation of a pointer. Simple and rugged. It either works or it doesn't and the rest is just aesthetics.
Repair is not economical.

When my wifes SPG flooded when we were doing a dive in Grand Turk, it stopped working. Sea water can easily corrode the delicate gears used inside the SPG that are used to convert the motion of the bourdon tube into needle movement. Any SPG that is or has been flooded needs to be replaced or serviced.

Mike

Ice9:
You are right, it is risky. But, if it weren't for this brand of "Discovery Scuba" thing a lot of people, including myself, would not be diving at all. I know my resort course definitely stressed (over and over and over) the simple safety things like not holding your breath, and the DMs were very attentive and professional, so the risks were somewhat minimized.

All in all, I think it comes down to the professionalism of the operation and the competency of the DMs....

While I generally agree with you (and I wouldn't have gotten my brother certified if he hadn't sparked his interest through a resort course), what it boils down to is do the risks outweigh the rewards. Many here would argue that a PADI Open Water cert barely prepares divers to breathe underwater, if you can even call them prepared. That being the case, the resort courses don't even come close.

Also, many would argue that we already have too many divers in the water that are completely unprepared to be there, so why do we need to boost those numbers by hooking the prospective divers who aren't already decided on getting their cert.

Furthermore, I know at least one person who took a resort course, and because they told her next to nothing about staying off the bottom or clearing a mask, she landed feet first, silted out the site, flooded her mask and couldn't clear it, and ultimately had such a miserable experience that she now thinks my wife and I are crazy for being involved in this stupid sport. There's some good press for ya'.

Most annoying to me are vacationers who bounce from one destination to the next taking a resort course and going diving without getting a cert at all. These folks never sort out their bouyancy, never really learn safety procedures, etc. I don't really see what this contributes to the diving community as a whole. And all it takes is one accident like this one could have been, and it gives us a huge black eye.

Sorry. I don't see it as an opportunity. I see it as a timebomb.

About two months ago, my family did a resort course in the BVI. There were six of us and two instructors. It was very professional and a terrific intro to scuba. My wife and I would not be certified NAUI today, if we had not done the resort course and enjoyed it so much.

IMO, your statements about basic training are overly broad. SCUBA is like any other risk/reward activity. As a general rule, there is no such thing as too much training. However, everyone has to start somewhere. Most important is that the new diver "has to know his limitations."

I ride motorcycles, too. If you are an idiot, no amount of training will cure you and it does not matter what size bike you ride. Any kid with the money can ride out of the dealer with a motorcycle capable of doing nearly 200 mph. Some just have to see if it will go that fast, 0n the rear wheel through rush hour traffic:wink: .

I see far more posts in the Accidents and Incidents Forum where the victims would appear to have had more than basic training(or their first dives). I don't recall any "victims" from a resort course. These courses are generally done at a depth where an ascent, while exhaling, will not be a problem.

I wonder if there is a statistical number of dives that are the most dangerous. Somewhere after the first few, without an instructor where the confidence curve overcomes the competence curve.

Obviously the dives done after a significant layoff are risky. Reminds me of a letter I recently saw in one of the diving magazines where the guy says he is certified but has not dived in 10 or 12 years. "Should he take a refresher and will his equipment be OK?" I thought the response should have been, "If you have to ask this question, your certification should be pulled and start your training over."

Has there ever been any thought to having certifications expire if not used for some period of time?

As I see it there are a BUNCH of problems with the discover programs. Leaving out the inadequacies that some believe are inherant to entry level training in general these programs present a problem within the agencies own standards, IMO.

Using the PADI standards because I know them...A discover scuba diving program is essentailly knowledge development and confined water module one. The dive was modified a few years ago to include no skill demonstrations which I think was done to fit this program and allow training credit for it mostly.

The problem? Buoyancy control isn't introduced until module three. Module three also contains much of the problem management stuff like OOA options, ESA, shared air ascents and even neutral swimming isn't introduced until module three. Hovering isn't introduced until mod 4.

So...what we have is people out diving before they could possibly have been introduced to the most basic and critical skills.

maj75:
About two months ago, my family did a resort course in the BVI. There were six of us and two instructors. It was very professional and a terrific intro to scuba. My wife and I would not be certified NAUI today, if we had not done the resort course and enjoyed it so much.

IMO, your statements about basic training are overly broad. SCUBA is like any other risk/reward activity. As a general rule, there is no such thing as too much training. However, everyone has to start somewhere. Most important is that the new diver "has to know his limitations."

Yes but where do they get their ideas of what their limitations are? IMO, there are enough essential skills that are not taught or taught poorly in entry level training that few newly certified divers can do a good job of even the simplest dives in the most benign environments. Note, that I didn't have that opinion when I was a new diver. That opinion came with more training, time spent training other divers and lots more diving experience.
I see far more posts in the Accidents and Incidents Forum where the victims would appear to have had more than basic training(or their first dives). I don't recall any "victims" from a resort course. These courses are generally done at a depth where an ascent, while exhaling, will not be a problem.

I wonder if there is a statistical number of dives that are the most dangerous. Somewhere after the first few, without an instructor where the confidence curve overcomes the competence curve.

A look at the DAN accident report which is really a presentation of raw data...it doesn't really include any statistical calculations. The data seems to suggest that divers with little training (can't really get less than a discover program can you?) and divers with little recent experience are a high risk group. A pre-entry level diver would seem to fit both.

I haven't heard of lots of discover program participants being killed but a HUGE number of them seem to hurt their ears...see my last post, they haven't learned buoyancy control or had much practice at ascents and descents yet so you'd expect them to have equalization problems and they do. I owned a dive shop and I certified a ton of divers who had first become interested in a resort course somplace. Just about every one reported some degree of ear injury. They don't die because they are totally dependant on another diver to take care of critical aspects of the dive and usually that diver manages to bring them back alive.

This thread is the perfect example. The pre-entry level diver had no idea how to check his own gear and ended up finishing the dive with an ESA which he was not yet trained in. He did a trust me dive with some one who wasn't very trust worthy. If you don't know much about diving what even qualifies you to decide who you're going to trust? Put this in perspective and you'll see that a skilled diver could dive with that same oporator until the cows come home and will never be in any danger because he can check his own equipment, plan and manage and conduct a dive with his own buddy.
Obviously the dives done after a significant layoff are risky. Reminds me of a letter I recently saw in one of the diving magazines where the guy says he is certified but has not dived in 10 or 12 years. "Should he take a refresher and will his equipment be OK?" I thought the response should have been, "If you have to ask this question, your certification should be pulled and start your training over."

Dives after a layoff may or may not be risky. That would depend on the dive and the skill level of the diver. There are plenty of divers who could lay off for many many years and still be far more skilled in the water than what is required to become certified. Probably far more skilled than most OW instructors you'll find too. I wouldn't lay off for all those years and go and do a big cave dive but I certainly wouldn't have any trouble diving provided I chose the dive appropriately.

Has there ever been any thought to having certifications expire if not used for some period of time?

Of course there has and at least one agency does have expiring certs. But...which one of my certs would you pull? I have a box full from several different agencies. you want to pull my OW card? ok, I 'll use a trimix card or a rescue card or maybe an old instructor card.

Of course the other point is that a certification isn't a license. In most countries you can dive without any certification. Resorts and parks may require them but you can buy gear and jump in the water without permission from any agency. It's a certificate of completion. There isn't any one trying to pull your college degree is there?

but, ok, we're going to pull a card if it isn't used. How does any one know how much diving I've been doing? Maybe I don't dive at resorts or on charters and rather just go jump in when I want...which is exactly what I usually do. So even if we could make the logic work somehow, you'd never be able to enforce it.

Just because there are lots of vacation resort divers doesn't mean that it makes sense to lump every one into that catagory. It's a skill and experience thing not a time thing. While skills do degrade with time, we can't apply the same time limits to all divers because there skill degredation isn't starting from the same place and is effected by time differently.

There was a poster on this board awhile back that essentially said he'd been diving for years doing only resort courses and reading accident assessments and reports. The techniques he described using for him and his buddy(wife), if they could even be called techniques were to me terrifying. The money spent on resort courses especially doing 2 or 3 or more while only on vacations could easily pay for a regular cert. I don't disagree with the discover scuba since it is controlled and I've helped with many but these resort courses are scary. The woman I got my ow cert with took a resort course on vacation. The third dive of that course they were taken to 105 ft. She did not know any better. If it gets people interested fine, as long as it's done right. But after that if you still want to dive get a regular cert. To do otherwise to me seems like laziness.

Back
Top Bottom