It could have been pretty bad...

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

mikerault

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Diving in Cancun with my wife and son-in-law with a large local dive operator, they were both just finished with the resort certification (viewed the PADI discover diving video, had a pool session, did a single tank dive) and the next day we did a shallow two tank dive, my son-in-law was using rental gear, my wife and I have our own. They both got their 3-week, dive only with an instructor/divemaster cards (I am neither) we were diving with an instructor and assistant from the same Cancun diveshop.

Everything went fine for the first two thirds of the first dive. I hung around the group of newbies with my son-in-law and wife, then went over to take some shots behind a coral head. In the 10-20 seconds I was gone my son-in-law's rental reg stopped delivering air, he had fully exhaled and then when he tried to get a breath the reg just stopped. He checked the SPG, it showed 500 PSI but the secondary wouldn't purge and delivered no air. Realizing we were only in about 20 foot of water at the time, he elected to go to the surface. The DM/instructor and his assistant were no where near him.

Luckily he had completely exhaled as he did not remember to try to blow bubbles all the way up. Had he got a partial breath he probably would have gotten a lung expansion injury. At the surface the reg would breath and the SPG showed 1000 PSI.

Analysis:

I thought the asistant was staying with him or I would not have left him. I doubt his octo would have worked, it appeared to be an issue with the primary itself. Later I witnessed DMs from the same shop removing the rental rigs and leaving them on deck with their dust caps off exposed to the spash and such caused by the moving boat. Also, this group doesn't use valve covers on the tanks, they just put a piece of masking tape over the opening when the tank is full. On one dive, I pulled my reg off a tank and they hadn't removed the tape when they had mounted it...

After the incident I noticed nearly half of their rental SPGs showed evidence of past flooding (rusted needles, mater marking inside the gage, discoloraitons of the gage faces).

Given the lack of use dust covers when the regs weren't on tanks and the use of masking tape the primary stage was probably partially blocked with salt crystals and/or pieces of tape and this caused the cut-off of air at depth and the varying pressure readings.

Had he not completely exhaled before his ascent this would have caused a potentially fatal lung expansion injury.

On the second dive he was practicing bouyancy control and the dump valve on the rental BCD was non-functional. All of this points to poor maintenance of this operations rental gear. In addition there are multiple complaints posted on this board about similar issues with this operator. I used them because of a email from them assuring me they had corrected the issues I sent them from the board. I won't be using them again.

Though there are multiple reasons for this happening, the most likely is that the valve was barely open. This is why I very much disagree with "open the valve all the way and then close it one-quarter turn" that's taught by most instructors. The problem is when you (or a “helpful” DM) gets confused and you do a "close the valve all the way and open it one-quarter turn". When your cylinder pressure is high, enough air can get though the reduced orifice to supply you with the necessary gas. However, when the pressure drops, you cease being able to get air.

How this manifests itself is when you breathe, the SPG pressure drops, and then slowly climbs as the air "leaks" through the narrowed valve opening.

This can happen suddenly as well if the valve seat shifts under the reduced cylinder pressure.

The fact that the SPG read 500 when he first looked at it and then it read 1000 by the time he reached the surface does lend some credence to that this is probably what happened.

Always completely open the valve and leave it there. If you get confused and close it (and leave it there) by accident, you'll immediately know when you test your reg on the surface, rather than a one-quarter open valve that can surprise you like it looks like it surprised your SIL.

Oh, and don't let any helpful DMs check your valve after you've opened it and checked it.

Roak

Good thought. I always check mine (after several times forgetting to, I think I finally have it ingrained into my skull) before I put on the gear. Usually when I do the pressure check I just leave it open at that point. I watched several people just put on the gear and jump in, they didn't check pressure, take a breath or two, purge the octo or even test inflate and dump valves on the BC...trusting souls using rental gear...

This is why I bought my own gear as soon as possible and gear for my wife. As soon as I upgrade my setup, my current gear goes to son-in-law so this shouldn't happen again.

Mike

Your experience is a huge argument for buying you own gear. If you must rent, and the gear looks mis-used, better to stay dry and dive another day! Sounds like your son-in-law handled it OK but might need a skills refresher on emergency ascent.

I hope he gets back on the horse with some well maintained gear.

Glad everything turned out OK!

Steve

He still wants to do the full certification so he is not frightened by it (I am not sure he really realizes how bad it could have been...I didn't want to over stress it and freak my daughter out, she is pregnant with their first baby and my first grandchild.)

Anyway, lessons learned!

Mike

My personal opinion...things started to go wrong when they did the resort course. If divers are going to dive, they need to get certified. Too many things can go wrong to be able to cover it by making students watch a video, jump in a pool once, then go out on a reef. I have never been a fan of this approach, and your story is a great example of why. Whether or not anyone thinks that basic OW certification training is enough for a diver to be ready to dive, it certainly is better preparation than what folks get when doing Discover Scuba Diving or other resort courses.

I have no issue with Discover Scuba, which takes place only in the classroom and pool. This is an easily controlled environment. Taking severely undertrained and uncertified divers out on an open water dive, OTOH, is crazy risky.

mikerault:
...purge the octo...
Please note that purging your octo tells you nothing beyond the fact that your air is (or was) on. Same for breathing off a reg while out of the water.

You could have a huge slash in the second stage diaphragm, and the octo will purge just fine and the reg could seemingly breathe just fine, but if you donate it to another diver it will deliver nothing but water.

You should put your face in the water and breathe off of BOTH regulators before you begin your dive. Of course, given many of the anchoring mechanisms of octos, it may be had to stow the octo after testing it in the water, which is one of the many reasons behind a bungeed backup rather than an octo.

But that's another discussion :)

Roak

Would you care to post the name of the dive operator you used? This will prevent others from renting faulty equipment from them.

Similar incident happened with me and some girlfriends (one ended up in hospital overnight)..........rental gear, started delivering water and air suddenly at 60 ft - 1st friend/dive, took reg out and passively paniced.........DM brought her up and to closest boat (he was EMT and nurse on-board) - got water out of her lungs and she overnighted there in Cozumel.

Second dive with other friend - got SAME reg set - same thing happened! She just swallowed water and surfaced with DM in relaxed manner.

I'll never trust rental stuff in Mexico again.....your experience underscores my experience with rental gear there.
My dive op there was Studio Blue.......this happened 6 or so years ago.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom