It can be so much easier . . .

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

"Go diving" rather than "Learn to dive", as RJP puts it. Yes like most I wanted the cert. so I could go diving. I also knew that there was a lot more to it than the 35 years of snorkeling I did. As Jim L. would say, lots of stuff can kill you. I also must always take the time to express my amazement when I read "bicycle kick". Who takes OW without knowing how to kick? It's like, "I saw the sign saying learn scuba and thought I'd give it a go anyway". Some things will always amaze me.

Who takes OW without knowing how to kick? It's like, "I saw the sign saying learn scuba and thought I'd give it a go anyway". Some things will always amaze me.

The list of divers who do NOT kick properly is far longer than the list of divers who DO know how to kick correctly. Do you want that list with DMs, Instructors, MSDT's, Course Directors, etc included... or would you prefer two separate lists?

:d

RJP, your posts make me very sad, because my intent in starting the thread was precisely the opposite of how you seem to think most people would read it.

It really isn't hard to make it easy. We do it with our OW students over and over again. I think the way we do things would even have helped ME, and I was one of the most hopeless students there ever was.

I know what you mean about skiing . . . I used to watch the people glide elegantly down the steeper slopes, or fly through the bumps like they were simple, and my experience of skiing was completely different. Mine was awkward turns, lots of falls, and nothing that felt either graceful or easy. The year I finally got some runs that felt like that was the year I shattered my knee skiing and gave the whole thing up. I suspect there are divers who give it up because it never feels fun -- and there are definitely divers who really don't care. One of our best friends has horrible technique, which results in him being a terrible gas hog, but he looked at us and said, "Too much work, not interested.". Needless to say, he also never dove much.

I remember my first dive with Bob Bailey . . . I looked at him, quiet and horizontal, stable, obviously comfortable, and I said, "Wherever he learned that, I want it.". It transformed my diving life to know what was possible. I wanted to inspire people to read Gareth's lovely articles, and Bob's, and watch the videos to show them what they CAN do . . . then go find out how to learn to do it. You can do it yourself, although it's easier to find a good teacher or mentor to help. But it's possible for every single one of us.

For all of you who read this: I am thrilled you are diving. I am thrilled that you care. But please know that diving can be easier, and more fun. The more you know, and the more you polish basic diving skills, the more you can focus on sightseeing, photography, or whatever brought you underwater.

Please go read the articles on THIS website, and this one, written by our own NWGratefulDiver. Watch the 5thD-X videos on YouTube. See what is possible, and then go after it. It will do nothing but make your diving life better.

Thanks for those links. I'm learning more on this board than I did in formal training :)

RJP, your posts make me very sad, because my intent in starting the thread was precisely the opposite of how you seem to think most people would read it.

It really isn't hard to make it easy. We do it with our OW students over and over again. I think the way we do things would even have helped ME, and I was one of the most hopeless students there ever was.

Sorry for any confusion. I am in complete agreement, and wrote my posts with the intent of pointing out why many divers struggle with - or are frustrated by - the way that many instructors currently provide and/or position scuba training.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom