IT and Diving?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

It may not be a case of IT but more the size of the company, here in the UK a lot of the major IT/Engineering comapanies have social clubs and organised activities, which are subsidised by the company, hence the dive clubs:

British Airways
Rolls Royce
BAESYSTEMS

etc. etc.

I was into diving well before I left school, I used to go with my dad he was SSAC which is similar to BSAC, and they had a junior section, I did my junior snorkel certificate by 16 and went diving with my dad several times.

I didn't actually do my openwater until 2000 which was 16 years later.

I got rid of the Ex wife, she owed me lots of money, so i used it on diving to pi*s her off, and it worked.

I have been into electronics/IT since 91

Ontario Diver once bubbled...
- The only place where Bill Gates isn't making money!)

You think?, I'll bet he is in on it somehow, with an income larger than some conutry's GDP some investment of his must be in diving....:rolleyes:

systems analyst...
for 8 years (UNIX mostly), physicist/astronomer before that (comes in handy for those gas calculations!)

Diving is a great contast to work, and at the same time you can really get into the technical / scientific side if you're that way inclined. I suppose there's also a parallel between the fascination of outer and inner space...

Phil

I work for one of the Largest Mfg in the world for Computers and provide 3 rd tier engineering support for Workstation/Desktop issues

Geek

..I meet a lot of divers in IT too. I chalk it up to all the gadgetry, numbers orientation (tables, deco, etc.), and the technical prowess involved in diving. As far as sports go, diving is a lot like IT...much more so than basketball for instance. I was on a six-pack charter out of NC a while back and someone started talking about servers and before I knew it everyone was chiming in. We went around the room and everyone was in some sort of technology job....course there are a lot more technology jobs now than there were 10 years ago too...

I've been a software developer since 1981, a Unix / Linux System Administrator since 1989, a database application developer since 1982, in Web/Database integration since 1996.

I've just recently beome an OW Diver - 3 years ago, and am working on my AOW currently.

I've not noticed that there is necessarily a higher percentage of people in IT that dive, as much as I've noticed that there are a higher percentage of people with more disposable income that dive - it's a gear-intensive and travel-intensive sport, which both normally require available funds.

Most of the time, people who dive do so because they have the time and the money to enjoy leisure time sports activities. I've met people from all walks of life in diving, but they are predominantly either professionals - whether IT, medical, or legal, or they are otherwise very successful at their chosen business, such as building contractors, television personalities, champion equine breeders, writers, educators, research scientists, etc.

It seems to me that people who dive tend to be more successful at whatever they do. Diving requires self-discipline, a somewhat technical or scientific mindset, and some sefl-motivation. These traits are the same ones found in all of the successful people I've ever known. I think these types of people require challenges in their lives, and so they seek out activities that keep them sharp.

Forever learning -

My $0.02 .... :dieputer:

I'm a Web Application Developer and part-time systems administrator (only because its a small company and I know the most about our Unix servers). I've been in IT for 4 years, been diving for 6 months.

I didn't start diving untill I moved to the British Virgin Islands to take a job here. Everyone in my office who is directly involoved in the IT process is a diver, however none of the other people (creative/content people, administrative..) dive...strange..

I'm getting kind of sick of doing IT and am hoping I can turn diving into a carrer at some point...but the money in IT is better :D

Within the IT fields there is a great deal of help needed in the diving world. Have never been to a shop that didn't have trouble with inventory, sales, and other old cash register stuff, or the cost of the software was crazy, or the computer couldn't keep up with the software and so on.

Those are just general statements.

Specifically there is real need for software that will track dive charters, which boat, which date, whos on board,has the deposit been paid, was the diver notified that his deposit was late etc. Lots of work there, send a PM if you want to know more.

Maybe it's more of a corelation between IT people and people who hang out on Internet message boards?

I do see some corelation between IT people and tech divers, not really so with regular recreational divers though.

Tom

Back
Top Bottom