IST Reg and BC

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

DiveLabby

Registered
Reaction score
Is there a reason I cannot find any information on IST brand equipment? I am one of those dreaded new 'vacation' divers, although trying to hit some quarries to imporove my skill level. Anyway, I was looking at IST R20 regulator and IST Oceanus hard pack BCD. Any info or opinions welcome.

I have a 1st regulator,it breathes great,i havent had it serviced it yet but that could be a problem finding someone to service it,Im currently using it as a backup regulator.

You need to look at 2002/2003 Scuba Diving magazine since they reviewed IST branded gear. Realistically it's pretty close (though not identical) to several other brands. The regulators got solid marks in tests, don't expect that to change.

Decent gear for the price. Don't expect perfect. Test things out immediately when you get it because being inexpensive they do have a high initial mortality (dead out of the box) figure. But in my dealings, the service has been top notch getting replacements quickly.

A bunch of us went through class together and all got geared up with IST BCDs and regulators... most of the group still has them, uses them 2 to 3 times per year like they wanted, others have used it 300 times since buying it... no one was unhappy with it so far other than just the few dingers we got out of the box.

It all depends upon what you want to get out of your gear... if you're looking for something inexpensive that you can get 2 years out of while you figure out whether diving is for you... then IST is a good way to go... if you want something that'll last forever, and be cost effective on a per-dive basis and that you can use the heck of out... I probably wouldn't go IST...

Just my $0.02... as a former IST owner.

FYI... Got nearly 200 dives out of my IST gear before selling to someone just starting out... have switched over to a BP/W and Apex/Beuchat regulators due to deep diving... still have all 3 of my IST wetsuits, both masks/snorkels and IST turtle fins...

I have seen some IST stuff and have a some IST octos and a w/s. Not impressed, it was cheap and I got what I paid for, the Yugo of dive gear.

I have seen some IST stuff and have a some IST octos and a w/s. Not impressed, it was cheap and I got what I paid for, the Yugo of dive gear.

I'd give it a little better rating than a Yugo... Maybe Gremlin or Pinto... :wink:

Dave

Back
Top Bottom