IST F-1 Rubber Fins

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

chip104

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Hi guys,

Did a forum search but brought back nothing on these fins. I have a chance to buy them. Was wondering if anyone has tried them or have any type of feedback on other divers using them. Below is a picture:

IST.jpg

I use whip kick. When I need to travel fast I'll switch to a modified flutter kick.

Thanks for any help!

I love 'em. I've got a pair of splits that I use for open water, and I use these for the springs and caves. I'll be getting spring heel straps for them soon, not that I've had any problem with the original straps.

Brian

brianstclair:
I love 'em. I've got a pair of splits that I use for open water, and I use these for the springs and caves. I'll be getting spring heel straps for them soon, not that I've had any problem with the original straps.

Brian
thanks for the feedback brian. Have you ever used the F-1 fins in current? If so, how are they? I'll be using these fins mostly in open water.

FYI: here in the PI the spring traps cost more than the fins!

We had some of those in our university gear for a while. They were comparable to the Jet and Rocket fins we had. Personally I can't tell the difference between any of the three when I kick. I get good control and power from that sort of fin and I'm small.
Ber :lilbunny:

THey are definately softer than the jets. I don't know how they compare to turtles (which they seem to be modelled after) but a friend of mine had his turtles stolen and replaced them with ist's because they we're about half the price and he says they're softer than those. I don't know about the quality of the rubber mold but he had the heel strap snap on him on one dive - but that could just be the reason that pair was so cheap.

I considered - then went with jets.

@ Ber:
Thanks for the comparison to the jet fins. I've been told they're comparable (and they look comparable) and that's my main motivation on purchasing them. Just having spent on a new reg and a bp/w, money is tight and the jet fins costs 3x as much than the F-1s. I'm trying to find anyone who has the F1s so I could try them out.

@ Santa:
Thanks for the response. Ya, I noticed it was a tad more soft than the jets as well. My current generic fins are flimsy after some use which make my knees and ankles slightly ache after each dive (no matter what kick I use). I'm wondering if the F1 fins will get soft enough to make my joints ache. I'll keep seraching for a friend to try them out. As for the heel straps, I plan to replace them with the springs, since I've had a couple of friends who swear by them.

Best thing you can do is become a divemaster or instructor real quick - then you get to test anything in the shop for free buy stuff at huge discounts and not pay for the diving ;0)

Padi didn't pay me to say that.

By the way I think that the ist's are a bit shorter than the jets and turtles as well - but I've only seen size L and below.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom