Issues with Suunto?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

DXHI

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
I have seen some people that have them and love them… others hate them.
Can members provide examples of issues they’ve had

I have seen some people that have them and love them… others hate them.
Can members provide examples of issues they’ve had
As mentioned in some related threads, I have had Suunto products, for more than thirty years, since the original Solution (then distributed in the US, by the late and not so lamented SeaQuest), which is still in my possession and remains fully functional; followed by the three models of the Cobra series; and must be some statistical outlier, at least in terms of many on SB, since none of my depth sensors were ever deemed inaccurate or any subject to that infamous twelve years of product recall; and everything always jibed with other analogue and / or digital gear.

I had yet to deal with any of their customer service, since they had been swallowed by the gaping maw of Huish —and really have neither any need or intention of ever doing so, since the last of my warranties expired sometime during the reign of Dubya . . .

I'm once again using a couple of my old Solutions for shore dives

010.JPG

Suunto compasses of that vintage are all completely leaking ****

I bought a Vyper new in 1999. Still have and use it. Bought another one for my wife in 2006, still have and use it, so no issues to report here. On the 5th battery on the 1st one and 3rd on the 2nd.

I've had five Suunto dive computers.

Around 1996 I bought a Companion, which I later sold and replaced it with a Solution, which I sold in 2004 when I did my Nitrox course and replaced it with a Vyper.

I then purchased a Vytec as I needed a computer which enabled me to switch gases whilst diving.

Then in preparation for Tech diving, I bought a HelO2, which I initially used for my first trimix course then bought a Shearwater Petrel 2.

The HelO2 packed in with a faulty pressure sensor, and I donated it to a friend who said he could fix it as he used to repair Suunto computers for a dive shop at some point.

I still have the Vyper and the Vytec and used them in gauge mode on the strobe arm and as a back up if a visiting buddy does not have a computer.

Never had any issues with them and despite all of the complaints I hear people make (on this forum but not in real life where I have been diving), I've never had anything to complain about.

My daughter uses a Zoop, and a D6i, and borrows the Vyper and/or Vytec when teaching.

When it came to trimix diving though, the HelO2 is not very user friendly when changing gases though, Shearwater wins hands down.

I have a Zoop Novo that I had to repair. The depth sensor failed (apparently a relatively common problem). I dive with it still but have a backup computer.

Had a Eon Core. Nice computer, loved the interface but it had compass issues. Could be as much as 30° off with out and back navigation so I sent it in for warranty service (year old). They wanted me to send it via DHL, the nearest drop point was 130 miles away so I asked to send it via UPS, Fedex or USPS, even at my expense... They said they'd get back to me, a week passed so I reached out again and I was asked to be patient. Another week and another email I get this as a response:
Your Case 06301405 is now being analyzed by our colleagues at Suunto Headquarters.
As soon as we have a reply from them, we will get back to you.
Sincerely,
Customer Support Team
Suunto
Waited another week and emailed them again m making it clear I'd pay UPS shipping, a week later I get this:
We hope this finds you well and we apologize for taking long to get back to you.
We would like to ask you if you are able to check if there are some place/company that you could be able to hand over the shipment for the courier if the booking will be placed?
Please let us know if this is possible and we will see what to do.
Sincerely,
Suunto Customer Support Team
At this point, almost 4 weeks after my initial service request, I'm just plain mad and I decided I'd rather sell the thing dirt cheap with a malfunctioning compass than deal with their "service" department.

I bought a vyper novo as it was one of the cheapest computers that offers air integration. It constantly has issues connecting to the transmitter, even when I have the manual pulled up me I’m going step by step through the instructions.

I also find user interface subpar, and dislike that even if I put it in gauge mode to use as a back up for my perdix, the computer will lock itself.

Overall, I am disappointed in the computer and would not buy it again.

Back
Top Bottom