Issues with Scubapro Regulator and Oceanic LP Inflator hose

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

MGC136

Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
I bought this BC and I was having issues with the low pressure inflaton hose fitting in my LP port on my Subapro MK2plus Regulator. Is this a common issue? Do I need to buy a diffrent hose? Are the thread sizes diffrent for the two makers?

Welcome to the board.
The MK-2 has standard 3/8x24 threads on the LP port and the LP hose will have the same, this is an industry standard. Something is bad wrong, either the LP port has been cross threaded or the hose threads are defective. You should be able to start the hose BY HAND and screw it up until it stops against the Oring BY HAND , then tighten is slightly with the correct wrench. It takes very little torque to secure the hose DO NOT crank down on it. Are you sure you are trying to install it in a LP port? The HP port on a Mk-2 is 7/16 instead of 3/8....to keep you from installing the hose in the wrong port. If you can not get it to start and tighten by hand I suggest you take it to a good reg tech before any (more?) damage is done.

Duh,not to be a smart a** ,but are you installing it on a lp port.If you try to install it on a hp port it would not fit...

Last edited:
Looked at the situation again. I took off my octo and tired it in the port that the LP inflator would not fit into. Went in with out a problem so I looked at the threads on the LP inflator hose the second thread has a flat spot that is about 1/4 in long. Thanks for the help.

Looked at the situation again. I took off my octo and tired it in the port that the LP inflator would not fit into. Went in with out a problem so I looked at the threads on the LP inflator hose the second thread has a flat spot that is about 1/4 in long. Thanks for the help.

That will do it, sounds like it's time for a new LP hose. Any time a hose on a reg.....or any other threaded connection for that matter..will not start and continue until it seats by hand is giving you fair warning there is a problem, bringing out the wrenches is a sure fire way to cause more damage. Hoses on dive regs are sealed by the Oring, not torque. They need to be only slightly tighter than what you can do by hand, more torque is never the answer.

Herman,

Thanks for the help. I am new to the sport and trying to get my gear all together for Mexico in a week. I was really afraid to mess up the threads in my Mk2 not the most expensive reg out there but still cost a good bit. I also saw that you are from NC. Any good recommendations on places to dive near Wilmington this summer?

Herman,

Thanks for the help. I am new to the sport and trying to get my gear all together for Mexico in a week. I was really afraid to mess up the threads in my Mk2 not the most expensive reg out there but still cost a good bit. I also saw that you are from NC. Any good recommendations on places to dive near Wilmington this summer?

mmmmh trying to get your rig out for next week... meaning you won't test it before hand... this sounds like no safety check for me, bad mix with a new-to-the-sport... my 2c...

Last edited:
Herman,

There are a lot of good wrecks and reefs out of Wilmington. There are some good close in wrecks that are not as spectacular of the more offshore ones but are a better choice for your first few NC dives. You need to be prepaired for the dives as they are more advanced than your average Fla or Caribbean dive is. Our wrecks tend to be a good distance off shore, boat rides of 2 to 3 hrs are common. We dive in 4 to 8 ft seas and seasickness is a real concern. Not trying to scare you off but too many divers think that all diving is like the calm seas and short boat rides with DM's holding their hands that is common in other places. They get a rude awakening on our boats. You have not gotten back on a boat until you do it in 6 ft seas with the stern going underwater on the down swing and the prop out of the water on the up swing....the joy of a Carolina ladder ride. :) This is big boy diving, no DM's, no one setting up your gear and no one watching over your shoulder. A good dive briefing and you are on your own.....and well worth it if you are prepaired. Our wrecks are covered in tropical fish and there is nothing like having a 8 ft sand tiger shark join your buddy team to make your day.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom