issues with my Fisher cz-20

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

jameys18

Registered
Reaction score
I just got my first detector and I'm having some possible issues I would like some feedback on. I'm not sure if its broken or if i'm doing something wrong. :depressed:

I follow the instructions on ground balancing by setting the sens to 10, disc to 0 and ground to 10. then i turn the detector on and hold the coil about 6-10 inches above the ground hit the pinpoint button. after I hit the button and hold it down i lower the detector to the ground.... In the manual it says to lower coil to the ground then slowly turn the ground knob down until you here the whining then back off... well when i lower the coil to the ground I automatically here the whining and it just gets louder when i turn the ground knob down... i've tried doing this is several different areas incase i was over metal or high mineral levels in the ground... I'm not sure what the problem is as it has worked the correct way a couple of times....

2nd. Yesterday I went to use my detector at a possible old church site on my girlfriend's families land. when i tried to ground balance the machine I was getting random beeps (like flase hits) ever 5 seconds. I had to turn the sensitivity down to like 3 in order to stop the beeps but then it would only pick up a dime I put on the ground about every other time i passed over it... is this a problem with my machine or is there something i'm missing?

Thanks for any help you guys can offer.

Are the batteries good? Are you near any high tension wires? I've actually had a detector behave squirrely near high voltage lines.
You may want to try the following to check out the detector. Set everything to preset, and use a low disc, and then try air testing, and see how that goes.

air testing, waving the detector in the air? tried that and it still gives off a tone every few seconds... it almost sounds like sonor: beep.... beep.... beep. Would the batteries make it act up like that? when doing the battery test it shows that they are about half charged.

No powerlines. I was in the middle of a wooded area surrounded by cow pastures.

sounds like batteries or faulty battery pack...;

i have had the same problems with metal detectors. last time it happen it was the coil wire

I use my cz20 with all the factory recommended settings. When I use the Sensitivity at anything above 4, it makes the erratic sounds you experience. And ground balancing - what's that? ;>)
I have never done that whether on the beach or in the ocean. Never had to do a balance, but maybe that's what the Ground Balance setting at 5 does for me.

However --- if you have an older CZ-20, and it starts running erratic (place it near a large metal object. If you get no real beeps, it has to go back to Fisher. If you hear a phone ringing sound, unit it likely okay, especially if it has fresh batteries. Weak ones make it run erratic.

The old 20's have a tendency to leak thru the cover face plate, and all such units eventually will fail. Fisher will upgrade the unit to a CZ-21. It fixes the issue but you lose the push button pin point with one that is on until you push it, then it's off until you hit the button again.

I find a ton of stuff with this detector on those default settings - marked with a red circle : ILostMyJewelry-dot-com

Was the batteries, I've gotten better with it now. No awesome finds but fun all the same

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom