Issues with Ikelite DS-125s and Nikon d810 - ideas?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Meaghan

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
I have a Nikon d810 in a Nauticam housing wired for Ikelite TTL. I have 2 Ikelite DS-125s (serial #s around 15,000 but they were bought around 2009 and never sent in for any upgrades). Also they are connected via Ikelite sync cord and Ikelite's Nikon TTL adaptor (old version, but supposedly should work as long as I don't go below ISO 100).

So shooting in Manual mode and with strobes/camera set to TTL, all my photos have a really bright light on the Left side, and super dark right side. Seems like only Left strobe is firing. But when I test on land, both fire when strobes set to TTL. When I set strobes to manual (on land) the left one fires half the time (it is taking longer to recycle). Tried switching battery packs between strobes and also wires, still the same strobe is slower/doesn't fire sometimes.

The weirdest part is the fact that it seems like the right one is NOT firing underwater on TTL....but on land both fire when set to TTL. And on manual it's the left one that has issues!

I am so confused. Thoughts? Is it just time to upgrade to DS-160 or 161s? If I do that, do I need to upgrade the wiring too - because that adds more to what is already an expensive proposition. I'd like to get this figured out ASAP b/c I have a trip in a couple weeks - meaning I probably don't have time to send everything in to Ikelite and get it checked out :(

M.

I would guess a sync cord issue due to intermittent nature, seems like sometimes the left and sometimes the right strobe give trouble.. If you are close to a store (reef photo?? , don't know where in Florida you are) you could see if a new cord fixes things or a different TTL adaptor?

I would guess a sync cord issue due to intermittent nature, seems like sometimes the left and sometimes the right strobe give trouble.. If you are close to a store (reef photo?? , don't know where in Florida you are) you could see if a new cord fixes things or a different TTL adaptor?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom