ISO recommendations for Seattle area dive physician or dive medicine

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

TonyBottomTime

Registered
Reaction score
Hello, I developed tinnitus on a dive trip recently and went through my 'provided' ENT and quite frankly, she sucked. Astonishingly, she didn't think that my dive activity had anything to do with my tinnitus. It developed just hours after diving plus I haven't dove in 2 years. Wow what a coincidence! Something tells this is not right. After doing my own investigation, sounds like my hunch is turning out to be true. In hindsight, I should have a sought a someone familiar with dive physiology and/or medicine.

So I ask you SB, does anyone have a recommendation for a dive doctor (physician, medicine, or whatever is the appropriate term I should be using) in the Seattle area who understands inner-ear issues? DAN has provided me with these names James R. Holm, Edmond Kay, Anthony J. Gerbino, and Kathleen Horan. So rather having to choose from 4 (not knowing who's the best for my issue), I'd like to here what you have to say.

Thanks

I believe Edmond Kay has retired.

A friend of mine developed tinnitus on a dive while using the Vasalva method. Since then, I've learned how dangerous it is (but is taught because it is so easy). He hasn't been too happy with the ENTs he's seen though. Ultimately they really don't know. I'll ping him as he's not on SB.

I'm still in the midst of reading about tinnitus, IEDCS, IEBT here on SB. I'd like to post a separate post for questions I have about my ordeal but would like to get a dive dr's opinion and be well read before I do. Even getting an explanation would be a relief for my distressed mind state.

Hello, I developed tinnitus on a dive trip recently and went through my 'provided' ENT and quite frankly, she sucked. Astonishingly, she didn't think that my dive activity had anything to do with my tinnitus. It developed just hours after diving plus I haven't dove in 2 years. Wow what a coincidence! Something tells this is not right. After doing my own investigation, sounds like my hunch is turning out to be true. In hindsight, I should have a sought a someone familiar with dive physiology and/or medicine.

So I ask you SB, does anyone have a recommendation for a dive doctor (physician, medicine, or whatever is the appropriate term I should be using) in the Seattle area who understands inner-ear issues? DAN has provided me with these names James R. Holm, Edmond Kay, Anthony J. Gerbino, and Kathleen Horan. So rather having to choose from 4 (not knowing who's the best for my issue), I'd like to here what you have to say.

Thanks

Jim Holm is one of the best in the world.

Best regards,
DDM

I just tried calling James Holm. The secretary said that with my situation/issue, I need to see an ENT. This is why, the day I got it, I dreaded having to navigate the medical industrial complex for help, not to mention finding in-network help while I was in Hawaii. Also, apparently I'm a little too far out for help being that this occurred back at the end of March.

I just tried calling James Holm. The secretary said that with my situation/issue, I need to see an ENT. This is why, the day I got it, I dreaded having to navigate the medical industrial complex for help, not to mention finding in-network help while I was in Hawaii. Also, apparently I'm a little too far out for help being that this occurred back at the end of March.

Did the secretary recommend a particular ENT? A lot of times a hyperbaric unit will work with an ENT with diving knowledge.

Best regards,
DDM

No, she said I would need to go through their process. "their" meaning not my network. So another ENT exam before I could speak to the dr.

Back
Top Bottom