Islander vs Islander 2

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Mouth Breather old

Contributor
Reaction score
I bought an Islander from Dolphin Scuba in Sacramento 2 weeks ago. I thought is was the lastest model based on Oceanic 2008 catalog. I'm kind of bummed....what is the difference? If my unit has never been used yet can I get it replaced with a "2" since that is what I believed I was buying?

I'm surprised that a super high volume store like Dolphin would be still selling the old model.

Oceanic has 30-Day satisfaction guarantee. You have 30 days to return or exchange the product to the dealer. Scubatoys is offering the Islander for $300 right now. So if you paid more request they match the price or request they send you the Islander 2. If you got a deal then you might have to do some negotiating to work out a deal.

....try a GOOGLE search for each model...you can likely compare 'specs' that way...Plan 'B' is if you bought it locally take it back to the store and compare yours to the 2008 model in person. My dive buddy has been using a older ( 3 years maybe ?) version....which I'm upgrading her out of this weekend, as I'm almost done assembling her new BP/wing (DR Transpac/Oxycheq Mach V 'Extreme' wing/ DR AL back-plate/Oxycheq STA/Halcyon intergrated weight system) this morning.
The Islander is what is it is...a cheapie/lightly built/travel BC...and her 'older' version has a S*CKY velcro weight system.....sure, worked fine when new, but velcro wears out quickly and eventually became completely unreliable/dangerous...NO MORE VELCRO I vowed !!!
...make sure your model doesn't have a velcro-only weight system....eventually you'll grow to HATE that !!!
The Islander, like all pre-built BC's, is a pain in the butt to modify/add accessories/mounting points...but that was something I learned the hard way after buying my first BC...a Zeagle Ranger (which I still own and keep in reserve or for weight restricted travel trips.)
...my buddy likes her Islander though......other than the poor weight system...and the inability to add/modify it to stow additional gear.

Karl

Thanks for the insight and the warning on the old weight system with the Oceanic Islander I. I will avoid the Islander I and wait for a deal on an Islander 2. I currently dive with a 5 lb steel deep outdoors back plate, a dive rite venture wing, and dive rite 1st and 2nd stage regs. I sold my aries dive computer and gauges and went wireless with the Atom 2 in an attempt to loose travel weight after lugging heavy dive gear over a mountain range & through a jungle in Fiji. The extra luggage weight fees were also a factor. I would like a super light simple travel BC with pockets for my back packing adventure trips to the islands. I like the light weight set up you are using but I don't want to invest that kind of money when I already have so much money in my BP set up now. I also need a second BC for my brother to use when take him diving while I am using my back plate. I believe a used Islander 2 may be the way to go. I'm not sure there is a market for used back plates if I wanted to get out of my current set up. I have at least a year to find a good deal on the travel BC. If I can't fit it in one back back with all my clothes and day pack, it is not going with me on the trip. Thanks for your help.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom