Islamorada dive report and some snaps 12-22-17

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

deeper thoughts

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
We were diving a reef by Davis which we haven't dove since pre Irma and on top of that the mooring ball was blown away. Noaa has been working hard fixing and replacing the mooring balls which were damaged or missing from Irma.
This ball was just replaced so we went to see the extent of the damage
There was no real damage to speak of
I included some pix to show the algae that is now around. That being said I did see plenty of fish nibbling on this stuff.
The dive site definitely changed a bit but if you haven't dove it prior you wouldn't notice any difference except for the algae.
water temp 76 viz 45 no current. flat calm seas
Fish life was amazing
Green and spotted moray eels exceeding 15
Most pix was shot with the tg 4 no strobe/housing just to give a feel of what it looked like
P1010029_2454_edited-1-1 (Medium).JPG P1010031_2459_edited-1 (Medium).JPG P1010040_2460_edited-1-1 (Medium).JPG P1010050_2463_edited-1-1 (Medium).JPG PC210009_2409_edited-1-1 (Medium).JPG PC210014_2414_edited-1-1 (Medium).JPG PC210016_2416_edited-1 (Medium).JPG PC210018_2418_edited-1-1 (Medium).JPG PC210023_2423_edited-1-1 (Medium).JPG

PC210043_2443_edited-1-1 (Medium).JPG PC210033_2433_edited-1-1 (Medium).JPG

Glad to know you didn't see a lot of damage. How are things looking topside in Islamorada? If people showed up sometime soon to stay a week, what would it look like topside?

Richard.

Glad to know you didn't see a lot of damage. How are things looking topside in Islamorada? If people showed up sometime soon to stay a week, what would it look like topside?

Richard.
You would be hard pressed to know that a Hurricane passed thru here.(Lower keys, marathon are a different story)
Islamorada looks fantastic and the village did a great job cleaning it up.
All restaurants are open .
That being said hotels here are few and far between. 68 pct of them are closed.
The village and the upper keys seems to be quite empty right now

Thanks for the update. The Keys aren't in my 2018 plans, but I know it's been a 'region of interest' to many. Glad to hear it's looking good topside, except for so much hotel closure. Wonder why so much?

Richard.

Thanks for the update. The Keys aren't in my 2018 plans, but I know it's been a 'region of interest' to many. Glad to hear it's looking good topside, except for so much hotel closure. Wonder why so much?

Richard.
Most of the Islamorada hotels are on the oceanside.

Another dive today in Islamorada(Hens and Chickens) Great conditions 35 viz(great for this site 1.5 miles off shore)
water temp 75 and no current. Dove the southern most ball number 10. Absolutely no damage from Irma less the one lobster trap I saw and some rope. That being said this site never had great coral anyhow.
What it lacks in coral it easily makes up for in fish and accessibility.
Couple snaps with the pocket camera
PC240031_2590_edited-1 (Medium).JPG PC240037_2596_edited-1 (Medium).JPG PC240050_2609_edited-1 (Medium).JPG PC240077_2531_edited-1 (Medium).JPG PC240093_2547_edited-1 (Medium).JPG

Keep posts like this one coming. The more posts there are the more divers will want to go dive there. Taking your business to the Keys is the best way to help them recover from Irma.

Keep posts like this one coming. The more posts there are the more divers will want to go dive there. Taking your business to the Keys is the best way to help them recover from Irma.
Thnx.

thanks for sharing the photos and the updates for post Irma...keep them coming.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/
https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom