Islamorada Dive Operators

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

PapaBob

ScubaBoard Supporter
ScubaBoard Supporter
Reaction score
I am planning a trip to Islamorada next month and want to do a lot of diving. My charter boat directory lists Key Dive's (Bud and Mary's), Rainbow Reef Dive Center, Holiday Isle Dive Shop, and Ocean Quest Dive Center, as likely prospects. Does anyone have any experience with any of these outfits? An operation that accomodates UW photography would be nice. Thanks in advance for your help.

---Bob

I am an instructor at both Ocean Quest and Rainbow. Both are excellent operations.
As far as photography, you will get an on board rinse bucket seperate from the mask rinse. There is a dry area at the helm station on each boat. Both operations run 29 ft Island Hoppers out of Islamorada.

I assume you have both web sites.

PM me if you have detailed questions.

Thanks
Bill

I agree with MakoSince70. While not an instructor for them, I have been diving several times with both operations and think they both do a great job. My favorite is Rainbow Reef, but I think you'd be happy with Ocean Quest as well. Best of luck. You'll love the diving in Islamorada!

Hey Bob.....Not sure why your directory didn't mention us, Conch Republic Divers. We're located on the North tip of Islamorada in Tavernier. Please check out comments about us on this board and Scubadiving.com. We dive from the Spiegel Grove to the Eagle.

If we can help with either diving or hotel arrangements please let us know.

Good Diving,
Capt Gary

I dove with Rianbow Reef last month. I had set up a dive to Alligator Reef a couple of months in advance. When I got on the boat, my dive buddy and I were told the boat had taken most of the divers on board to Alligator Reef the day before, and we were going to another reef instead. I was very disappointed. Also, the boat was crowded. The staff otherwise were great to deal with. Just my 2 cents worth.

Hey I agree with MakoSince70 also. Rainbow reef has good people and ocean quest divers does as well. I would go with one of those. Stay clear of catle boats and high prices that they don't tell you about as like conch republic and divers city. Bud and marys do a nice job as well.

Davisledge:

Lynne and I ended up giving Conch Repupblic divers a go. I signed up for one dive with them and ended up doing the entire week. Captain Gary, and his wife Brenda, went out of their way to accomodate us. Every one that dove with them that week seemed impressed with the efficiency and safety orientation of the operation and their willingness to hunt down dive sites that would please the maximum on board. Specifically, they knew who had been on board before and where they had dove, and did their best to find good new sites rather than take divers to repeat sites. Their pricing was extremely reasonable for the service, especially since I mixed up our schedule and Brenda was more than willing to give us their best package rate for the dives we actually did.

I have dove with high priced cattle boat operations and share your disdain for them. I would peg Conch Republic as a personalized "mom and pop" operation. Although I did not dive with them, I do not doubt that Rainbow and Ocean Quest are good outfits. However, Conch Republic has earned my return business.

---Bob

https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom