Isla Providencia opening...

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

It has great diving but I haven't been there since the hurricane. When I went there I was scheduled to dive with Felipes but I learned that they fed sharks so I switched to Sonnys that doesn't do that. Just before I got there a lady diving with one of the dive shops that feeds sharks was bitten, I'm pretty sure it was Felipes. There's plenty of sharks there and no need to be feeding them IMHO.

Colombia is a real friendly country but Providencia and San Andres are kind of outliers and don't resemble the rest of the country. The people on these islands can be kind of stand offish like in other islands but I still love it there.

How are you getting to Providencia? I got there by a high speed catamaran and it was really rough that day so it took longer than normal, I think it took us 4 hours. I was about the only person who didn't puke. On the way back we took a plane and it was about 20 minutes.
NYC to Bogota. Bogota to San Andres. San Andrés to Providencia. I was thinking about the ferry but that's just too much time and costs the same as the flight.

NYC to Bogota. Bogota to San Andres. San Andrés to Providencia. I was thinking about the ferry but that's just too much time and costs the same as the flight.
I definitely recommend flying if one is available. The boat wasn’t available every day when I went.

I already booked the flights. Not terribly confident something won't get cancelled, though. I found out after I booked the whole thing that American now has flights from Miami to San Andres. Oh well. Next time, I guess.
As much as I love a boat ride, 4 hours when you are chomping at the bit to get to paradise is just too much stress. Add to that a loquacious 7 year old and the plane is an easy choice.

Oh lord, I want to be there.

Just to be clear the only flights to Providencia are from San Andres. Btw Im in San Andres right now and there were at least a few people going to providencia from my flight.

As for those flights, anyone wanting to fly there should also try Decameron. This is a hotel chain and when I was at the Providencia airport I noticed that they have a little airline. I imagine that they sell tickets to people who don’t stay at their hotels but then again this is Colombia.
I already booked the flights. Not terribly confident something won't get cancelled, though. I found out after I booked the whole thing that American now has flights from Miami to San Andres. Oh well. Next time, I guess.
As much as I love a boat ride, 4 hours when you are chomping at the bit to get to paradise is just too much stress. Add to that a loquacious 7 year old and the plane is an easy choice.

Oh lord, I want to be the

I'm interested in visit Providencia in November. Please keep us updated.

The latest word is that the island will be open to tourists on June 23rd. Keeping my fingers and toes crossed. Planning on a three week trip in August.
The wife and I sailed to Providencia 46 years ago on our sailboat. What I remember was that was the only place I had to exit the water because a school (herd) of barracuda started to become way too interested in me.

The other funny remembrance was that when ashore we saw a bunch of locals running down the street. When we inquired why they were running down the street we were told that "something had died" and there was fresh meat available.

The wife and I sailed to Providencia 46 years ago on our sailboat. What I remember was that was the only place I had to exit the water because a school (herd) of barracuda started to become way too interested in me.

The other funny remembrance was that when ashore we saw a bunch of locals running down the street. When we inquired why they were running down the street we were told that "something had died" and there was fresh meat available.
I can only imagine how wonderful that must have been travelling in a sail boat.

I don't think all that much has changed. When I asked about getting steak for a barbecue I was told, "Sometimes they kill a cow and maybe you'll get lucky."

I'm buying steak in Bogota before our flights.

Back
Top Bottom