Isla Mujeres dive op recommendations

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

zinmaker

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Does anyone have any dive op recommendations for Isla de Mujeres? If anyone has any dive site must see recommendations I would appreciate that as well.

Thanks

Thanks for the recommendation, how does the diving compare to diving in Coz or PDC?

Dive ops from Cancun dive the same reefs. I have been there a few times. The one reef I really remember (it's been a while) is called Manchones. Pretty good coral heads and large schools of grunts and snappers. Diving in the area is similar to PDC, not much like Coz. Lots of fish, some surge, reef structures are not as spectacular as Coz.

Is there a surge on the island or is it a current? That is how we drift dive here in Northern CA, grab onto a kelp stock, and wait for the surge to take you in the direction you want to go, then let go, kick a little until you feel the surge pulling you back then look for more kelp to hold onto (kelp grows about 3 or 4 feet a day, so there is plenty). I enjoy the drift diving in Coz and also enjoy the sea life in PDC. Don't worry, I don't grab onto anything while reef diving, usually stay 2 or 3 feet away from the coral. Thanks for the dive site recommendation of Manchones. I'm not interested in diving Xcaret sounds like the coral formations have been mowed down by many a snorkeler. I've done the Cenote dives and enjoy one or two at the end of a trip, it is a great way to rinse your gear and basically do a long safety stop after a week of diving.

As I remember it, it is more surge than current. Sounds like you will know how to manage it. I would skip Ixcaret too. Are you staying on Isla Mujeres? I did some research on it a couple of years ago, but ended up not going. I would be curious to see what another diver thinks of it. My ex and I used to go to Cancun every year and we did a little diving there, which was generally out near Isla Mujeres.

zinmaker:
Does anyone have any dive op recommendations for Isla de Mujeres? If anyone has any dive site must see recommendations I would appreciate that as well.

Thanks

We dove three days with Coral Divers on Isla this past Febuary. They run a safe, reasonable shop. Isla has some decent diving and it always seemed to be an adventure getting to some of the reefs since they are further out in the channel than they are at Cozumel. I really enjoyed the Mexican Navy gun boat dive. (see my avatar)

The island itself was a lot of fun. Much slower pace and less developed than Cancun, PDC, and Cozumel. We enjoyed the search every day for good places to eat and found almost every meal to be good at a very low cost. I would go to Isla again for a nice 3-4 day trip.

Dave

Is the gun boat on its side? Looks like a fun dive, I might be diving with a new diver and not sure she will be up to it. Hope the reefs were not too damaged during the last hurricaine.

zinmaker:
Is the gun boat on its side? Looks like a fun dive, I might be diving with a new diver and not sure she will be up to it. Hope the reefs were not too damaged during the last hurricaine.

Reefs are in pretty good condition. The gunboat was prepared as a "reef", it broke in half during one of last years huricanes. It is sitting upright in two pieces. Hatches and cables have been removed. Some very fun swim throughs. My wife choose not to penetrate it and seemed pretty happy hanging out on the outside.

Dave

BTW, the Cruz de la Bahia was also a dive that was worth doing at least once.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom