Isla Marisol

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Scuba Monster

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
We are going to Isla Marisol in March - I am so excited! We have been to Inn at Robert's Grove and Turneffe Island Lodge. Inn at Robert's Grove was enjoyable and the diving was really good, but the dive sites were far. We really loved Turneffe Island Lodge - my favorite dive trip in the Caribbean so far. Isla Marisol seems Turneffe Island Lodge like, but probably a bit more rustic. We are traveling in the week of a full moon, so there is a greater potential to see whale sharks. I am trying hard not to get my hopes up, but it would be a bonus if we get lucky enough to see one. I was wondering if anyone on the board has been to Isla Marisol. If so, do you have any pictures to post? What dive sites were your favorite? What was your experience at the resort? How about the dive op? Do you have any suggestions or tips? If you haven't been to Isla Marisol, how about diving around Glover's Reef? Has anyone dived Shark Point?
Thanks for your input - I hope to get some responses.

Can't help much but I'm sure you'll have a wonderful time and I'll look forward to hearing all about it. I completed my OW certification at Glover's Atoll Resort in 2003 and we're heading back there in August. I loved every dive I did but the one that stands out in my mind was The Aquarium. Seeing a whale shark is one of my life goals but we're going too late this year to have a shot at it. As I see it, not seeing one is just another excuse to keep returning to places they frequent. Good luck and happy trails!

I am very interested in answers here, as we are planning to go to Belize in April.
Initially, we were tempted to stay at Isla Marisol and then we were recommended to stay at Dangringa, which has the added benefit of a jaguar reserve in the vicinity.
So which one could be recommended? We have a 10 year young son and thought that some other activities would be available.
thanks for any help you could give.

Really different experiences. You're right that there's more variety of activity from the mainland. Many of us choose to split our time between mainland and island instead of trying to compromise. Check out the The Belize Forums has Moved! and get a good guidebook so you can read up on your options. Happy trails!

I am very interested in answers here, as we are planning to go to Belize in April.
Initially, we were tempted to stay at Isla Marisol and then we were recommended to stay at Dangringa, which has the added benefit of a jaguar reserve in the vicinity.
So which one could be recommended? We have a 10 year young son and thought that some other activities would be available.
thanks for any help you could give.

We haven't been to Isla Marisol, yet, but have stayed at Turneffe Island Lodge, which is as remote. We also stayed at Inn at Robert's Grove south of Dangriga near Placencia. Robert's Grove was wonderful, but the dive sites were at least 30 minutes - 1 1/2 hours away. The dive sites seemed to get better the further the site from the mainland. Dangriga is only a short puddle jump away from Placencia, so I would think the dive boat trip time would be similar or just something to consider. From IRG we only dived 2 dives per day, but there were many other excursions offered such as Jaguar Reserve, Monkey River, Mayan ruins, caving, tubing, horseback riding, etc. There are resorts around Dangriga that would offer similar mainland adventures. I think Isla Marisol offers mainland excursions, but you would have to go by boat first. We booked the dive package at IM, so our plan is to eat, sleep, dive, repeat. In the Dangriga area, I've researched this resort and thought it looked interesting if you are looking for a place near Dangriga with more mainland activities .... Hamanasi: The Best of | Belize Vacations | Belize Hotels | Belize Resorts

I haven't been here, but it would be on the list when we want a more mixed excursion type vacation.

I have not found many posts on Isla Marisol (for whatever reason) on the board or the Belize forum mentioned earlier. After our March vaction, I'll post a trip report. The post will probably come too late to help you with your decision. But, I am discovering that Belize has many options to fit different needs and taste, which is the appeal that brings us back for another visit.

Thatch Caye is fifteen to twenty minutes away from all its dive sites on the main barrier reef and is the same distance to the whale sharks as Placenica. They also do mainland trips, are 45 minutes from Glovers, and welcome kids who tend to love our wildlife and our zoo.

I have been out to Isla Marisol many times and have dove out at Glovers for years. Isla Marisol has some very good dive sites that can compare favorably with other parts of Belize but the main barrier reef down from South Water Caye is just as good and closer to land. Isla Marisol is at a beautiful location though and I know all of the staff out there and know that they will do their best to make a great vacation experience for you.

I have never dove shark point since it is quite a bit north and most of the good diving at Glovers is in the lower middle to south, but I have seen several sharks on dives at Glovers and in Belize in general and it would not be uncommon to see several in the course of a week's diving.

Thanks, Thatch Caye for your respose. I checked out your resort prior to your post, but I found it from other posts on the Board. TC is definitely of interest sometime in the future. I do like remote land based locations that offer 3/dives per day. Can you tell me about the dive profiles at Thatch Caye? We are just a 2 hour plane flight from Belize City, so sometimes a long weekend is of interest. Do you offer 4-5 day stays/dive packages? I supposed I could look your website, but do your rooms have A/C (I can't remember)?

I've stayed at TCR and taught a few dive students there! There is A/C available in all rooms but I've never heard of anyone using it - the sea breezes are cooling and far more therapeutic than an electric motor whirring a few feet from your head!

Dive profiles there are pretty well what you want them to be, as groups are very small and highly personal. There's no "diving by numbers" there. There's considerable variety of dive sites, from fairly shallow contained sites suitable for novices or photographers (there's an awful lot to see there) to almost bottomless wall dives where you can see mantas, hammerheads, eagle rays etc. Many people think the only wall dives in Belize are on the atolls. That's not so - you can be diving a magnificent wall 20 minutes after leaving your Thatch Caye casita!

Scuba Monster - I stayed on a sail boat off the caye and dove with Isla Marisol back in May 2007. The diving was incredible. Awesome double wall in front of the atoll. The resort and dive operation seemed to be very well run. I was surprised to see a nitrox set-up in this little island.

I didn't go on a whale shark dive but had dinner with other divers at the resort who raved about them. If you are prone to sea sickness make sure to take some medication as these dives will require passage in the open ocean and can get rough.

Enjoy.

-Scott

Back
Top Bottom