Trip Report Ishigaki Trip Report June 2022

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

noserider

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
Ishigaki is one of the southernmost islands of Okinawa in Japan and closer to Taiwan than Tokyo and has a tropical climate, great beaches ringed with outer reefs.

It is a 3 1/2 hour flight from Tokyo with JAL, ANA and Peach offering flights. The flights are easy but they do not serve food and will check that batteries are not inside torches and strobes but they are used to carrying dive gear.

Masks are still mandatory in all indoor spaces including planes (unless eating or drinking) and whilst not mandatory outdoors most of the population still wear masks.

There are plenty of accommodation options in Ishigaki town from resorts through to standard japanese business man hotels and a smattering of AIRBNB’s, as you move away from the town accommodation options become less and whilst there is plenty around Kabira, the further north you go accommodation and food options become a lot thinner on the ground. Car hire is useful if you want to explore the island and they drive on the left, cars are plentiful but can become fully booked in peak season (ie Golden week).

Food as you would expect is great with good sushi restaurants, lots of izakaya’s and plenty of Yakiniku restaurants serving amazing Ishagaki wagyu beef. There are lots of options in town and Ishigaki is famous for pineapples, purple sweet potatoes and sea grapes.

So lets get onto the diving, you have two main options either diving with one of the larger operators out of Ishigaki town or one of the smaller options operating out of Kabira. There are currently only about 3 centres that speak English with Prime Scuba based in town, which is quite a large operation and a smaller husband and wife team called Viking scuba in Kabira, who I dived with and was the only one on the boat the days I dived plus one more based in the Club Med resort,

Divers come to Ishigaki to see Mantas and in the summer months through to mid autumn you have a great chance of seeing the every day and most dive shops do at least one dive a day at a manta point. I did 3 of my 9 dives at manta points but only got to see one manta in the distance but this was the only spotted that day and probably that week.
However without seeing Mantas the diving is still great, I did 9 dives in 3 days and whilst none where deep or that technical they were all good, with a wide variety of sea life, good macro life, fun swim throughs, really healthy reefs and a far few turtles more than enough to keep you interested. The coral in particular looks really healthy and reports are that it is growing really well and areas that had limited coral 5 or 10 years ago are now very healthy and we got to see coral spawning.

The water was warm and whilst the local Japanese were all in 5mm full suits, I was more than comfortable in a rash top and boardies.

There are a few minor niggles, tanks are all small 10 litre steel dumpies which only have yoke fittings and are only filled to a maximum of 180 bar, thus dives are quite short and diving is quite expensive at almost US$500 for 9 dives (incl lunch). Only 5 boats can be tied up at the main manta point at any one time.

Attachments

• Ishigaki cave.jpg
    Ishigaki cave.jpg
    58.6 KB · Views: 88
  • Ishigaki pair of nemo.jpg
    Ishigaki pair of nemo.jpg
    133 KB · Views: 88
  • Pink Fish.jpg
    Pink Fish.jpg
    126.6 KB · Views: 91
  • P6120027.jpg
    P6120027.jpg
    151.1 KB · Views: 95
  • Single Nemo.jpg
    Single Nemo.jpg
    126.9 KB · Views: 83
  • reef tree.jpg
    reef tree.jpg
    194.7 KB · Views: 89
  • Turtle 1.jpg
    Turtle 1.jpg
    224.5 KB · Views: 90
  • Gold Fish 2.jpg
    Gold Fish 2.jpg
    246.5 KB · Views: 89
  • reef scene.jpg
    reef scene.jpg
    222 KB · Views: 93
  • P6129445.JPG
    P6129445.JPG
    135.1 KB · Views: 86
  • P6129440.JPG
    P6129440.JPG
    105.7 KB · Views: 92
  • P6129462.JPG
    P6129462.JPG
    88.7 KB · Views: 91
  • P6139468.JPG
    P6139468.JPG
    69.5 KB · Views: 96
  • P6139493.JPG
    P6139493.JPG
    67.7 KB · Views: 86
@noserider
Nice report.

What is the reason to chose "Viking" over "Prime"?
Cheers.

I will check with them for more detail information.
The only concern is the typhoon season which is from June onward.

Purple sweet potato. Can't bring out of the island!

Appreciate the review of a destination I had not heard of. Got a few questions...

1.) You mentioned dive op.s that offer English communication. In terms your whole trip, including time in airports, hotel, restaurant, etc..., do you think such a trip would be pretty easy for an English-only speaker to navigate, or would that likely be problematic?

2.) Do you see this as a good primary dive destination (e.g.: it stacks up fairly well against regional alternatives, and it would a good place to go just for diving, without any topside agenda or being there for some other reason), or is it a place people go for other things and dive while they are there? I know you mentioned the mantas as a draw.

3.) Thanks for the heads up on the little scuba tanks; for many of us, that's a non-starter.

4.) In a recent thread discussing Indonesia, some posters were talking about squatty potties, 'bum guns' and...other things. Any particular...erm...'cultural differences of note' you encountered on your trip? Things where it would've been nice to have some warning?

Thnx for posting

@noserider
Nice report.

What is the reason to chose "Viking" over "Prime"?
Cheers.

I will check with them for more detail information.
The only concern is the typhoon season which is from June onward.

Purple sweet potato. Can't bring out of the island!
Mainly as I prefer smaller set ups but it was a close call but the things that swung it was that Prime were closed on 2 days I wanted to dive and we were staying in the north of the island and if we were going to dive in the Kabira area it would have added an hour to my day diving with prime.

Prime did offer nitrox which viking don't.

Toyo at Viking is a great guide and fish spotter who obviously knows the dive sites very well andI I was lucky to be the only diver on his boat the days I dived

Appreciate the review of a destination I had not heard of. Got a few questions...

1.) You mentioned dive op.s that offer English communication. In terms your whole trip, including time in airports, hotel, restaurant, etc..., do you think such a trip would be pretty easy for an English-only speaker to navigate, or would that likely be problematic?

2.) Do you see this as a good primary dive destination (e.g.: it stacks up fairly well against regional alternatives, and it would a good place to go just for diving, without any topside agenda or being there for some other reason), or is it a place people go for other things and dive while they are there? I know you mentioned the mantas as a draw.

3.) Thanks for the heads up on the little scuba tanks; for many of us, that's a non-starter.

4.) In a recent thread discussing Indonesia, some posters were talking about squatty potties, 'bum guns' and...other things. Any particular...erm...'cultural differences of note' you encountered on your trip? Things where it would've been nice to have some warning?
1) I have been travelling to Japan regularly since 94 and have a Japanese wife so my view may not be normal, but travel to Japan for non Japanese speakers has become far easier over the years with signage in all cities and on the roads in both English and Japanese, which certainly wasn't the case until the football world cup went there and improved markedly again in the subsequent rugby world cup and Olympics. There will be challenges and you will encounter occasions when there is no English speaker particularly in restaurants, however most restaurants have pictures of the food on their menus so you just point and order. The Okinawian islands were controlled by the US until the early 1970's and English is widely spoken to a high standard on the islands far better than on the other islands.
You can cope if you do not speak Japanese provide you are polite and patient , my only concern is that you will need to use sat nav on your phone as all the sat nav in cars is only in Japanese which means that you can't use it and you do need Sat Nav to find your way around. You can hire pocket wifi devices cheaply that pair with your phone and are a god send.

2) If you are based in Asia, yes it could be particularly if combined with another Japanese dive island like Miyakojima or Yuron however this is a marginal call. I would say it is great option if you are in Japan and want to add a few days diving onto a trip but the island itself is not a strong enough draw however it is supposed to be one of the best places in the world to spot Manta's and is certainly very popular with Japanese divers and those based in Hong Kong. Thailand, Philippines, Indo, Sipadan and Burma would all be higher on my lists if you want a dive only holiday

3) The dive sites were all quite shallow <25 metres so I was getting 50+ minutes dives on each tank however if you are in a group with inexperienced divers then dives could be short which would be annoying

4) I could write a book about the cultural differences but Japan is a developed country so whilst there are differences, NO squat toilets and NO things like dog appearing on menu's, so no it is easy but I would advise reading a travel book first as there will be differences with things like taking shoes off every time you enter a room (often in restaurants), slippers being placed in toilets and a particular bathing protocol you should use in public baths (onsen's) or spa's which you must follow however they are really worth a visit.

I hope this helps

Yeah, that's the sort of thing some people would like to see coming rather than be surprised by. Thanks for the pointers.

Richard.
I meant to say no squat toilets or dog on the menu 😀, now corrected :)

Direct flight from HKG to OKA has yet to be resumed.

This wreck is relatively deep:

I believe the local culture is different from the mainland.

Remind me of Orchid Island in ROC(Taiwan) that I was planning to go but Covid put a stop to it.

There is always next time.

Direct flight from HKG to OKA has yet to be resumed.

This wreck is relatively deep:

I believe the local culture is different from the mainland.

Remind me of Orchid Island in ROC(Taiwan) that I was planning to go but Covid put a stop to it.

There is always next time.
The Emmons is a great dive - done a few trips there. Once all the LCC flights are running smoothly, I'd like to visit Taiwan. :D

Back
Top Bottom