Ishigaki Okinawa in Sept, what to expect ?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Dont forget it is a typhoon season on Okinawa around Aug-Sep. So depending on your luck, you may get into typhoon without any diving available....
Typhoon season here in Okinawa actually runs from June through November, with the peak being in August. Lucklily we haven't bit hit this year other than the out bands of the last one.

Typhoon season here in Okinawa actually runs from June through November, with the peak being in August. Lucklily we haven't bit hit this year other than the out bands of the last one.

Yes, for the past two years typhoon patern is weird on Okinawa. I think in 2016 no typhoon were on Okinawa at all in summer.

But this year a big one hit middle of Sep, no? I think the biggest one in the last 50 years. At least my friend on Miyako Jima spend 2 or 3 days without electricity as about 80% of house of island were cut off from electrics lines due to typhoon. It was around Sept 12-15 i think.

Well, a typhoon cancelled our trip to Okinawa.

We were in Kyoto and the night before our departure, all flights got cancelled to/from Okinawa and Ishigaki for several days. So we ended up spending extra time in Kyoto and Nara.

This ended up being a great thing for me as I got to see more of the amazing culture, tradition and history of Japan. Being born and raised in the US, I was ignorant about that kind of thing. My wife is Japanese, so she was more upset about the cancellation that I was since she had never been to Okinawa but grew up in Japan so Kyoto and Nara was not as exciting for her as it was for me.

Incredible temples, shrines, bamboo forest, monkey park, giant buddha's..... Highly recommend Kyoto and Nara if you have never been there. Google search Kyoto and Nara images if you want to know what sites you will see.

aw,shame you didnt get to go.
Used to live in kyoto, such a nice city, very relaxed and wonderful all year around but a little bit far from the ocean :p Back then I was taking a break from diving but now I would find it hard to move back there even if many friends and memories from there are nice.
Hope you get another chance at okinawa

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom