Is your knife sharp?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

To quote a good friend of mine, "If a knife isn't sharp, then it's a spoon... and who wants to dive with a spoon?"

Reactions: D_B
you might think that yours is sharp because .. it's new, or it "feels" sharp .. try it on something a tiny bit tough like a zip tie, you might be surprised
I did not like how much effort my new knife took to cut so I sharpened it with a round knife steel (my knife has the wave shaped cutting edge)
cuts much better now :)

no spoon :wink:

No, my knife is serrated with triangular points. It will cut through any monofilament, zipties, and even rope within a few seconds at the most. For metal cable or anything else I have trauma shears.

On shore, I am a knife junkie, and the knives I use on a regular basis are dangerously sharp... When it comes to diving however, it is trauma shears, trilobite, z-knife, etc. I will maintain a very sharp edge on the blades in these "safety" cutters. Personally, I don't care for knives in the water.....YMMV.

When it comes to diving however, it is trauma shears, trilobite, z-knife, etc. I will maintain a very sharp edge on the blades in these "safety" cutters. Personally, I don't care for knives in the water.....YMMV.

I'm starting to change to z knives and shears. The wife is terrified of cutting herself, so I just got her a trilobite knife. Waiting for it to come in to test it.

I bought a knife shortly after I got certified. I don't know if it is sharp, I have never had to use it.:D

My Jumpmaster came sharp, and cuts like a sonofagun. Now that I think of it, I wasn't too careful about rinsing and drying my Trilobite last month, so it might need a new blade...

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom