Is your facility in OSHA Complience?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

akdeepdiver

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
I attended the Our World Underwater Show in Dallas, TX last week. After walking around and taking all weekend, I was amazed by the amount of dive operations that either did not know about OSHA requirements to train employees on the new OSHA HAZCOM/GHS system, or had not done it yet. For those not aware, OSHA revised their Hazardous Communications standard and required all businesses that handle hazardous materials to provide training to their employees no later than 1 December, 2013. For those that have not completed this training, that means your a year out of date. To answer an often asked question, yes, compressed air is considered HAZMAT when it is stored at pressures over 40psig. This is easily remedied though. Just do a Google search online and one will find different options for training. These options run from free, to over $1000, depending on what route you want to take. Please, protect your employees, and your wallet from potential incidents, accidents, and fines. Feel free to email me at the address below, and I can help answer any questions you may have.

V/R

Myles TenBroeck
American Cylinder and Safety, LLC
tanktest@gmail.com
(808)343-6594
www.americancylinderandsafety.com

Reactions: RJP
Just to keep everyone in the loop with the changeover to the new HAZCOM/GHS standards with OSHA. We are currently in the transition period between the old standards and the new 2013 standards. Because of confusion in the regulations, OSHA has issued a directive to inspectors when the are auditing facilities. The new directive states that OSHA inspectors can issue violations (i.e. fines) for both the previous HAZCOM standards, and the NEW HAZCOM standards. So, if you are in violation of either, you can potentially be found in noncompliance and fined. If you would like a PDF copy of this new directive by OSHA, please email me or PM me and I will happily forward it to you.
V/R
Myles

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom