Is wearing bright, visible colors underwater useful?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

It's a little off topic, but is there a reason why most equipment is black and makes us look like seals? Other than that black tends to be a natural colour for rubber products.

I have a green tank light (even in daytime) which makes me easily identifiable.

Partly because it allows faster production when you dont constantly have to change colors for the same stock. They did back in the 90s experiment with diffrent vibrant colors of wet suits which appeared to at least been successful for a short period of time but for what ever reason the elder divers who were active in that time period seem to have a hay day and poke fun at those types of gear now.

Also in a non official response and more from my own point of view it does tend to make color coding for other gear a tad easier. In my case all of my emergency gear is yellow. All of my primary gear I would use is blue such as primary hose and computer hose. All other hoses I do in black.

As to an official answer sorry I cant provide one for you but I am sure someone will come along who can.

If you don't want to change from fashionable black there's always hose wraps. My buddy and I was in Puerto Vallerta with awful vis and one of the people in our group had hose wraps. I'm sure that there's a whole another thread of why hose wraps are bad and why they are good, but the bottom line is that we could always see those hose wraps.

We went and got the hose wraps. We now know each other underwater, and everyone knows us.

I've recently changed to the MiFlex hoses and haven't gone diving with them yet, but I expect the bright blue and bright yellow will help me stand out from everyone else.

Wearing bright objects and clothing attracts Marine Life!!!

However!!! If wear a fin that is a bright color that's fine. Or you can use a flashing beacon on the straps of the tank.

To avoid or minimize dive separation.

• Plan your dive and dive your plan.
  • Plan for separation procedures. i.e if separated, look for one another for a minute. After a minute surface and meet on surface.
  • Keep eye contact every few minutes
  • Keep within 2 meters distance from one another. throughout the dive.

Have fun and Dive frequently!!!!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom