Is Used Scuba Gear Safe to Buy?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I disagree about computers. I've got a couple kids that dive with me so all in all I own 4 computers, and the Gekko was the only one I bought new (6yrs ago). My Vytec DS an Vyper are at least 8 yrs old and like those many my friends own, are still running just fine. I would estimate the life of a Suunto as more like 10 yrs. These are divers making 70-100 dives/year, mostly local (i.e. virtually every week at least 1).

It's great for a new diver to have a good dive computer, but so many of these new guys will either peter down to almost never diving after 2-3 yrs, or get all enthused and go ultra-tech within the same time. Either way and for those in-between, a decent quality computer bought cheap because it was used works just great as a 1st computer. If they want something fancier later, the basic one can be resold again or kept as a backup. A diver just starting out has a huge list of expensive things to buy, esp. here in drysuit country. When purchased used the price of a computer is typically -40-50%.

BTW my reg sets were also purchased used at less than 50% their retail price. Esp. tech diving is not for those on a limited budget; when the original owner's interest wanders to something new, a doctor says "no go" or even just because the tech guy wants to decrease his OC gear when he's gone to CC, the used stuff is often priced to sell fast.

Last edited:
US Divers (Conshelf)/Aqualung (Titan) are some of the best tried and true regs (used) to buy... less than $100 for a first and second stage is a good price.

The best buy I ever found on line were a pair of Conshelf regs and 4 tanks for $100. The Conshelf 14s are just Kirby Morgan regs with a US Divers label on them so the parts are easy to get and the regs were very easy to work on myself. I kept one reg and 2 tanks then sold the rest for more then twice what I paid for everything. The Conshelf 14 is still the US Navy reg of choice to this day and will continue in service for a very long time to come. kbdiverservices, I have also seen the ads you put up looking for used gear. Are you also looking for commercial gear as well or just sport diving gear?

PS: kbdiverservices, Is Mike Parks still around? He used to do the same things you are doing out of Baltimore.

So many people start diving, get hooked into spending $2,000+ on gear and then never get time to dive, or lose interest or can't find buddies. almost any gear you buy will work as good as new when properly serviced. Avoid gear that is older than 10 years, mostly because there will be more modern gear that may be more user friendly (I came across a horse collar BCD the other day on Craig's list). Don't buy gear that you know nothing about. If you see something and it looks like a steal, research it before you buy. I accidentally bought a lamp with a halogen bulb when I thought it would have a LED. My bad, I didn't do my homework.

I will agree about used tanks. I have heard that a lot of shops won't, on principle fill older AL tanks, regardless of their history. Steel tanks are a different matter. Steel tanks IMHO are a pretty good bet. Plenty of 72s are still floating around, so don't pay a lot for them, if they are way out of date or been stored empty, take a pass. Big Steels like 100s and up are gold in my book. When talking price, you need to keep in mind what you will need to pay to get them re-certified (true for all used gear- factor in what it will cost to have a service before use).

Like anything, money spent in hast may go to waste, so you are better to take a pass on some deals if you are not sure about the quality or value.

Thanks to all for your comments and questions.

1. Not all US Divers regulators have available parts. We recently had an older model come in and because we are not an Aqualung Dealer - and had no access to parts - we sent it down to AirTech in North Carolina. They seem to have access to parts for everything if the parts exist. They sent it back red bagged saying parts were no longer available for it. This would seem to indicate to me that not all US Diver regulator parts are still available. US Diver, Seaquest and Aqualung are the same things... but when it comes to Regulators - only the Aqualung name is now used. US Divers and Seaquest were discontinued and with so few on the market, it is only a matter of time before they become no longer supported.

2. I would dive many Mares & Cressi regs over Scubapro & Apeks/Aqualung any day of the year, anywhere, and in any conditions. With that said, I like certain models from all 4 brands.

3. Certain people need to spend more on computers... but this is a newbie forum... and they do not need much more than a basic computer... which in a lot of cases is a two gas computer now-a-days.

4. Yes, we buy, sell and trade used equipment... as do others not far from us and around the country. Did I consider whether the post could help my business - YES of course -the post has a dual purpose. The primary of which is to educate the newbies how bot to get ripped off. Everyone in the industry has the ability and in my opinion obligation to help new divers in any way they can.

It is obvious all of the flamers are still present... so now that I've addressed your concerns... I'll let the newbies decide who is looking out for them.

Thanks... and happy and safe diving to all!

Yes it is safe to buy used gear.
You have to know exactly what you want and wait until it crops up.
Should you buy used gear if you do not know what to look out for? Certainly not.

I bought three sets of regulators used (all Apeks btw), a Shearwater Predator, backplate, weights, lamp, reels, tanks and have yet to regret one of these purchases. On the other hand I am trying to sell my Slingshot fins I was persuaded I needed by a LDS three years ago.

The best buy I ever found on line were a pair of Conshelf regs and 4 tanks for $100. The Conshelf 14s are just Kirby Morgan regs with a US Divers label on them so the parts are easy to get and the regs were very easy to work on myself.

I believe you will find that the KM regs are just US Divers Conshelf regs with a different label on them. They added the adjustment valve is all. That being said they are bullet proof and easy to work on. You will always be able to get parts for them all around the world.

---------- Post added September 8th, 2014 at 05:51 AM ----------

1. Not all US Divers regulators have available parts. We recently had an older model come in and because we are not an Aqualung Dealer - and had no access to parts - we sent it down to AirTech in North Carolina. They seem to have access to parts for everything if the parts exist. They sent it back red bagged saying parts were no longer available for it. This would seem to indicate to me that not all US Diver regulator parts are still available. US Diver, Seaquest and Aqualung are the same things... but when it comes to Regulators - only the Aqualung name is now used. US Divers and Seaquest were discontinued and with so few on the market, it is only a matter of time before they become no longer supported.
!

You can find parts to repair USDivers regs without too much trouble. I have about 16 double hose regs all repaired with brand new parts made out of better materials than the original USD parts. You can get overhaul kits for double hose and single hose regs from www.vintagedoublehose.com . I have a dozen or more single hose US Diver regs that I overhauled with easily obtained parts, I have USD Aquarius, all models of Conshelfs and have found parts with no trouble at all.

I agree that some models should be avoided such as Dacors as they are no longer supported and parts may be hard to come across but US Diver regs are no problem fixing up. For single hose US Diver regs I woud stick to the models with the brass second stages as the plastic regs would sometimes develop a crack where the hose enters the box. I pick up any used Conshelf 14 I find if I get a deal on them. I often find them for 25 bucks or so and they are easily worked on.

Even the old Heathways double hose regs is now having new diaphrams made for it.

If I had to pick just one single hose reg to dive and use it world wide I think it would be a Conshelf 14 as the parts can be found for it everywhere. Make that a Conshelf 14 Supreme if I needed to ice dive.

Thanks to all for your comments and questions.

I have 2 conshelf se2 regs and have taken them to AirTech as well. The only parts they aren't able to get for them are the plastic second stage housing it's self. One of mine had a hairline crack where the hose screws into it and they told me those housings are no longer available to the public but the Military can still get them. Otherwise those regs are easily serviced and are good to go...

I believe you will find that the KM regs are just US Divers Conshelf regs with a different label on them. They added the adjustment valve is all. That being said they are bullet proof and easy to work on. You will always be able to get parts for them all around the world.

No US Divers did not start making adjustable regs until after they bought KM. The Conshelf 12s & 14s that appeared in the early 70s are the same reg that KM made for the KMB-8 band mask that was produced from 67 to 69 when US took over. I have taken them apart side by side and the parts are interchangeable. US Divers got everything the know about commercial diving equipment from KM and when Bob & Bev left the US commercial diving program ended shortly after.

Back
Top Bottom