Is tipping a N. American thing?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

In the US, Germany, Costa Rica, and the BVI (the places that I have been long enough to become a regular anywhere), if you want good bar service or good food service, tip generously and if you are at the bar, tip early and often. I have never tipped a bartender that I saw more than once and felt that my tip didn't more than pay for itself.

Jackie

I generally tip 15%, good, poor, mediocre service, I just figure it as part of the cost of the meal.

I did get a bartender upset in Tahiti when I tried 3 times to tip her, she made it VERY clear that you don't tip in Tahiti. Downtown Papeete is like Iceland, $10 beers.

Scubatooth:
...So if you don’t tip on the drinks your just cutting that persons take home pay even more (which in most states is 2.13 a hour + tips and doesn’t cover the taxes on your reported tips)....
Miminum wage in California is around $5.50, or was five years ago. I know it didn't go down. 15% on food and beverages less alchohol is the accepted norm with the stated exceptions for a night out for drinks (ie: bar, etc).

Zeeman:
I have noticed that often they add a tip to the bill when I have eaten in the US or Canada

The only time I've seen that happen was when I was with a large group (generally 8 or more). Many restaurants will make it clear on their menus that a 15% "gratuity" is automatically added when serving such large groups.

While I personally don't like the practice, I can understand why it's done. Serving of large groups is generally when the waitier or waitress gets the worst tips considering the amount of service rendered.

Hoyden:
In the US, Germany, Costa Rica, and the BVI (the places that I have been long enough to become a regular anywhere), if you want good bar service or good food service, tip generously and if you are at the bar, tip early and often. I have never tipped a bartender that I saw more than once and felt that my tip didn't more than pay for itself.

Jackie

I learnt this during my first year in university. If you want good service at the bar the best thing to do is to tip VERY generously the first time (or first few times) and the bartender will remember you. Waiting time for getting a drink is kept to a minimum among other things!

Bubble Junky:
I think it is primarily a N American thing. Nobody really tips in England. As stated before, we have the 'service charge' built in, and tend to agree with Mr. Pink from Reservoir Dogs.

If it is built in, you do tip...you just didn't have a say in it. Tipation without representation :)

I tip 20% and unless you do something bad that stands out, like forgetting me, that is what I leave you

oh, and here in Ca. the servers pay a tip tax on an arbitrary amount of there wages, whether you leave them one, or not

DB

In the US, I've always seen that the "unofficial" tip amount of the bill is 10% to 15%. However, I'm seening now that most people are tipping more like 15%-20% for getting very good service.

However, I find it funny that a lot of restuarants are "printing" suggested tip amount and their corresponding percentage on the bill. Like amounts for 15%, 18%, & 20%.

I also have seen some restuarants automatically include a 15% tip regardless of the size of the dining party. I think for thw wait staff, this really lmits their tips because most people don't like being "told" what to tip and won't tip more. It also hinders better service because the wait staff won't work harder since they know they typically won't get more tip for better service.

Some countries the tip is included in the cost of the meal. IF you've gotten exceptional service you leave a small amount extra. I think this is true for France. I have no clue what they print on the check/bill since I don't speak/read French.

In Aruba, they add 15% "service charge" to every bill. However when they charge your credit card you still have the spot to "add your tip" on your charge card. Many people there don't realize the tip has already be added and the waiter gets an "extra" 15% tip (average). Considering the average entree for dinner in Aruba is $25 to $35, they rake it in when "us tourists" don't pay attention.

Alcohol? I see no reason not to tip for Alochol. They provide service just like food waiters do. If you get bad bar service tip accordingly.

Gas station attendent? When's the last time you bought gas in a "gas/service station"? Most of them are "convience stores" now with pumps out front. It's very hard to find someone to pump your gas for you. I doubt most people tip the person behind the counter when they have to go inside to pay. Or they just "pay at pump".

I will say that when I get good service at a place where tipping is common and I tip them good, that the servers/etc remember that and remember you when you come back in. Friends who work in the "service industry" supported by tips say that they remember good tippers also.

Other things I tip for: When I get good service from hard working Parking attendants/valets, the paper boy, car wash employees, boat crews, sky-caps (airports), hotel valets/bellboys, delivery drivers.

RikRaeder:
Miminum wage in California is around $5.50, or was five years ago. I know it didn't go down. 15% on food and beverages less alchohol is the accepted norm with the stated exceptions for a night out for drinks (ie: bar, etc).

that is federal minimum wage for the state of california(which is higher now), which isnt 5.50 its 5.15 as set by the government.

heres a map of federal minimum wages by state http://www.dol.gov/esa/minwage/america.htm

the only problem is that for those that work in the service industry fall under a different set of rules and employers are only required to pay $2.13 a hour, and if they dont make enough in tips that day the employer is only required to make up the difference to minimum wage.

http://www.dol.gov/dol/topic/wages/wagestips.htm

the sad fact is that if minimum wage had stayed up with inflation minimum wage would be in the $12-15+ a hour range.

trust me i have worked in this field long enough i know what the labor rules are, and what the min standards are.

mike s the reason those tables are printed in some menus and bills now is because most people couldnt do the math in there head to save there life. trust me i have had people ask me what was 10% of there bill was. in that case i was so tempted to say double the sales tax on the bill and you will be about right (which in texas is 8.25%), and this person probably would have believed me and wrote that amount down
FWIW

I work for a 4 star hotel in socal as a beverage supervisor (previously as a bartender) and reading this thread was somewhat amusing and yet I found some of the comments a little irritating.

The minimum wage inCalifornia right now is $6.75. So a person working in the hospitality industry normally makes minimum wage + tips he/she is paid.

A bartender works as hard, if not harder than a server. A server usually has a set amount of tables to service, the bartender has the drinks to make for the servers plus make sure the customers sitting at the bar get prompt service. And yes unfortunately, a bartender will "look out" for the generous tipper. Sliding a freebie periodically, doing an over pour, etc.

On a table of 6 or more we automatically add on a 17% service charge. I don't necessarily agree with it because I do feel your tip should be based on the quality of service provided. If a party disagrees with this policy then I am responsible to see that they are satisfied. At the same time I understand why it is done . A server runs their legs off getting drinks, food, munchies and then because some people are hard to please, or they don't understand US customs for tipping or the party are just a bunch of cheapskates the server gets stiffed or is left a piddly 5 - 10 % tip after all is said and done.

As mentioned earlier, the taxman could care less if you got stiffed. They base their taxes on the revenue you generated for the night, I believe it is around 7% (could be wrong on the percentage since I haven't had to deal with that for a longtime now). So if you only tip 5% the server is more than likely going to have money taken away from their minimum wage pay.

When I was in China last year I tried a couple of times to tip the waiters and waitresses and they tld us they were not allowed to accept it. So on the last night there the cocktailer that had taken care of us the week we were there I slipped some money to her after we paid our tab and left the premises. We told her it was just a thank you for her help and info she helped us with.

In June, the California scuba show will be held at the convention center right next to my hotel. If you get a chance stop in and say hi, you might be able to get a little liquid livation for a "nominal" fee.

Back
Top Bottom