Is this used regulator a good idea?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Diveguy1738

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
None - Not Certified
I’m new to diving, just became open water certified and have fallen in love with diving. I’m trying to save some money on buying a used regulator and bcd because I plan on going all out on my drysuit and not cheap out at all. But the problem is I don’t know jack about equipment, so I need your help. I’m looking at this regulator as an option, from what I understand it’s a great regulator but very old. I fell in love with scuba so much I plan on doing it for occupational purposes in the near future. So I want equipment that will be good enough for Atlantic Canadian water temperature (summer and winter) as well as good for depths to 100 feet. This regulator set is going for just under 500$. Do I need to dig deeper into my pockets for a regulator or do you think this might be a great option for me?

Attachments

• IMG_0368.png
    IMG_0368.png
    354.3 KB · Views: 81
As you have already mentioned, you don't know what you don't know; and I would discourage any novice from buying used equipment -- regulators in particular, since they'll have to be serviced before use, which could add anywhere from US 100.00 to 150.00 to an already overpriced purchase; and since you also mentioned that the gear is older, there is also no guarantee that replacement parts and service kits parts will even be available . . .

No, that is not a good deal. The Legend is a great regulator but the octopus is nothing and the console is worse than nothing. I could probably do you a Legend with matching Legend octo and recent service for less than half of that or even better.

No, that is not a good deal. The Legend is a great regulator but the octopus is nothing and the console is worse than nothing. I could probably do you a Legend with matching Legend octo and recent service for less than half of that or even better.
@Diveguy1738

You might want to take him up on that. Nemrod is one is the most knowledge people on this board when it comes to regulators.

@Nemrod the console isn't that bad. you can separate it by taking out a few screws and then put the suunto compass on a retractor or a wrist boot for it. can ditch the depth gauge if running a wrist dive computer or replace it with a suunto puck computer.

@Nemrod the console isn't that bad. you can separate it by taking out a few screws and then put the suunto compass on a retractor or a wrist boot for it. can ditch the depth gauge if running a wrist dive computer or replace it with a suunto puck computer.
It looks pretty bad to me. The depth guage is not especially useful, the compass is possibly useful though retractors are not within my universe at least, YRMV. The spg looks like a plastic case unit as is common with console guages so again, while it could be used naked, it is likely not very substantial compared to a B&G gauge.

The Legend of any series is a good regulator. Some found the soft purge covers to get hard and crack. I doubt those are available any longer. The existing covers might be fine, the disintegrating covers were not universal. There was a service instruction on the ACD to go to a different shutter valve with a ridge on it to preclude gas shutoff.

IMO, that regulator set is not worth the asking price. The reality is that aside from Atomic and Scubapro, a used and non current product just does not hold that sort of value.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom