Is this solo diving?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Stonecrab:
(which is a long story involving a scooter and a free-flowing octopus). When I realized i was totally OOA at 75' the old training kicked in and it wasn't a problem. I've been a lot more careful with my gear setup since then.
Which brings up Octo vs pony/redundent reg. Points to ponder

well, I guess the pony would have been much better to have in the situation I was in... And the way my octo. was hooked to me incorrectly (I didn't realize the consequences at the time) it would have been better not to have it! :11doh:

I guess the best thing would be to have both, and have them both in good (no, make that excellent) working order, and clipped on in the best/safest place, etc. There's definitely a lot to be said for redundant/backup systems! Even though I had been diving for a long time, I was naive (no, make that totally ignorant!) regarding my equipment... Never once thought of anything going wrong with it!! Of course, I had never been on any of these forums at that time, either:shakehead

JimLap:
You may also want to rethink clipping that pony reg off to your chest. a better solution when slung is to bungee it to the bottle tech style. The clip is used only after you deploy it and go around the neck with it. Then you clip it until it can be stowed properly

Agreed.

Reeldive -As to whether you were solo, I think it depends on what arrangement you had with the person you describe as your partner as opposed to buddy. If your intent was to dive together then you weren't solo, just abandoned. If you contemplated diving separately, in whole or in part, then you were solo - albeit a bit earlier than you may have anticipated.

Nice job managing the situatation and telling the story.

Back
Top Bottom