Is this set good and durable?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

AS158

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
I am new to diving, was certified less than a year ago. I want to buy my own BCD and a regulator set. Could you pls let me know if those items are compatible?
  • Mares MV Octopus Diving Regulator
  • Cressi Mini SPG (imperial, I will purchase an air integrated computer)
  • Scubapro MK11/C370 Scuba Regulator
  • Cressi Aquaride Blue Pro Buoyancy Compensator Device
Quality and Durability are important for me. I will be diving in warm places.

Thank you
AS

Cressi gear can be a little tougher to get serviced in my part of the world. YMMV.

But with an SPG and BCD, I wouldn't stress it. Have you tried out that model BCD? Make sure it fits well. Scubapro and Mares are solid, as are many others.

No, I have not tried this BCD, but all reviews are found, not very many unfortunately, were very positive highlighting its fit. My body is fairly standard in all dimensions, I hope the fit will not be a problem. I was more concerned about compatibility of the SPG, octopus and the regulator.

I am new to diving, was certified less than a year ago. I want to buy my own BCD and a regulator set. Could you pls let me know if those items are compatible?
  • Mares MV Octopus Diving Regulator
  • Cressi Mini SPG (imperial, I will purchase an air integrated computer)
  • Scubapro MK11/C370 Scuba Regulator
  • Cressi Aquaride Blue Pro Buoyancy Compensator Device
Quality and Durability are important for me. I will be diving in warm places.

Thank you
AS

My daughter has a mk11 s360 and it breathes very well. I have a Cressi travellight bcd, others can be very negative towards Cressi but I have found the travellight to work very well. I also have a Cressi mini SPG and it works well but if you are going to get an AI computer it is a bit redundant. Others would argue for having manual backup to an AI computer is advisable, that is a matter of debate.

Thank you. This is good to know. The BCD mentioned above is a bit more expensive than Cressi Travellight. I saw some complaints about the Travellight. I hope that the higher price will result in the higher quality of Cressi Aquaride Blue Pro. At least, I have not seen similar complaints as for the Travellight. On the SPG, it was recommended by the sales rep in LeisurePro. I saw different opinions on the subject though...

The major item I would suggest you should consider changing is the octo. I don't really care for that design but more importantly, it may cause you some issues when you get the reg serviced. If your local shop does not service both Scubapro and Cressi then you will have to take the reg 2 different places to get it serviced. I would suggest you get a Scubapro octo (another C370 would be fine) rather than a different brand of any kind (in other words the first stage, second and octo should be of the same brand). The SPG is not a big deal being a different brand as the service parts on it are all common ones.

Something else to consider. I am assuming you are thinking of buying online. If you do, who is going to assemble and check the regulator for proper operation? Many dive shops have a bad attitude about setting up gear for people who bought online then bring it to them for help. Not commenting on the good or bad of this, just pointing it out as a reality you should know about and consider.

Thank you, Herman. Your advice is much appreciated. Let me see if I can change those items.

I agree on matching brands for 1st and 2nd stages, for the same reasons. I am curious what negative comments you have heard on the TraveLight, and whether they might apply to older versions or to the current version. The main "knock" that I would explain to anyone considering it, is that the reduction of about 2 pounds in weight versus the Aquaride comes at the cost of some reduced durability, due to the lighter weight materials. That decision all depends on your priorities, and on how you dive. (I would also not suggest it for someone that really loads up the lead, for the same durability reasons.) I think there were a few other small-ish production issues from a few years ago, that have hopefully been addressed on the current model.

And yes, if you are having an LDS assemble and bench test new gear you did not purchase from them, expect to pay them something for it - that is only fair.

Hopefully you are not also expected to pay for some attitude, too.

Thank you, Jack. The problems with the TraveLight I read about in comments were, as you mentioned, due to reduced durability of the lighter weight materials. There were few comments on different sites, with about 5-10% of complaints.

I have contacted the shop were I was certified and they are willing to help me with the reg. I am ready to pay if needed. Not a problem.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom