Is this normal for a charter?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

salty:
I crew on a dive boat every weekend and some weekdays during the season here in New York so I see alot. 70% of the divers do all right 20% scare me 10% amaze me that they are still alive. The last 30% are the ones who make my job change from one of fun to one of a baby sitter. Considering that all mates on the island work for tips having to babysit a person who thinks there the gratest thing in diving since Mike Nelson and dont want or think they need your help can really put a downer on a good day of diving.

The stories I could tell............ :54:

I agree with Salty. I've crewed and now Captain a diveboat over here in NJ. It's that 10-30% of the people he mentioned that take up 99% of my time. I certainly don't make a living off the tips, but sometimes I think its not worth all the trouble...after all, I am out to have a good time as well...

I used to say "I've seen it all"...but there's always someone that "takes the cake". Fortunately, we have not lost anybody while I was on the boat (knock on wood, of course), but we had a REAL close call a few years back.

My personal favorites are the people who are climbing up the ladder with their fancy computers screaming and beeping. You look at the computers and notice they omitted a deco stop. When you ask them about blowing off their stops, they look at you like you are speaking another language. I try explaining what they did (or rather didn't do) and offer O2, but I can't force it on anyone. I just take down their relevant information and hold on to the boat waivers they signed (just in case)....

As for solo diving? It's not for everyone. Some people are great solo divers. Some think they are and I can't count the times that we've almost called the Coast Guard because we had a solo diver that didn't show up back on the boat when he/she had agreed to be back. Usually they are the people who go the opposite way from everybody else and nobody even saw on the bottom. Everybody has a bad day or lost track of time on the bottom. Once (maybe twice) is tolerated, but beyond that? you aren't welcome back on the boat...

Safe diving everyone!

I am not exactly a veteran diver like some of you fine people, I have been certified for 12 years and have about 150 dives, but I have seen plenty of this sort of thing myself. It seems that every boat has someone like that aboard. Scary as that is.

Brian, which dive boat are you on? Do you share the same fear and loathing of bananas that the other NJ captains have? :11:

SueMermaid:
I am not exactly a veteran diver like some of you fine people, I have been certified for 12 years and have about 150 dives, but I have seen plenty of this sort of thing myself. It seems that every boat has someone like that aboard. Scary as that is.

Brian, which dive boat are you on? Do you share the same fear and loathing of bananas that the other NJ captains have? :11:

I "work" on the Dina Dee...

As far as anti-banana boats? Personally, I don't have anything against bananas...although I know of at least two boats that you are referring to...I do not wish to be labeled as an "Outlaw" by creating a "Diversion" on the banana subject....I've seen this "superstition" even go so far as banana yogurt being thrown overboard...

I like going out on other dive boats including those "not" mentioned above and let's just say, I refrain from bringing banana flavored anything on dive boats...

:laugh: Ah, yes, I do believe we have had this conversation before, I recall telling you that I dented the deck of the boat (sorry) when I passed out wearing tanks. Ick. MAN, I got sick on that boat. Must have been the lack of bananas. :banana:

SueMermaid:
:laugh: Ah, yes, I do believe we have had this conversation before, I recall telling you that I dented the deck of the boat (sorry) when I passed out wearing tanks. Ick. MAN, I got sick on that boat. Must have been the lack of bananas. :banana:

Ahhh, yes. I recall that post. Laughed my butt off. But I believe you told me that you dented it ( I just looked for the dent).

Walter:
In general, skill levels aren't what they should be.

The Undersea Journal recently reported 60 meters (197 feet per minute) as "an actual observed and reported ascent rate after an average recreational diver finished with a safety stop." I see people getting away with this on a regular basis, yet DAN's ongoing research indicates that the maximum safe ascent rate may turn out to be as low as 10 feet per minute.

Judging from the amount of lead I've collected from the sea floor around here, I'd say that "popping-up" has become a popular passtime for bullet-proof divers. By the way, I have a growing collection of single weight pockets for anyone out there who's interested. I'm hanging onto the lead in hopes of figuring out this "alchemy" thing!

Thanks guys for replying to this! I haven't been around in awhile, and I appreciate it! I guess this experience was just a reminder that you need to really get to know your buddy before you get paired up with him/ her! Solo diving just isn't for me.... I don't feel comfortable with it, but more power to ya if you can! Thanks again guys and gals!

Kayla

I don't know why, but I have never been around anyone that has run out of air. I've never even seen a near accident. After 30 years of active diving I would have expected to see something go wrong. I have seen some dumb behavior, but nothing that resulted in a problem.

50feetunder:
Wy don't you learn how to dive solo so these things don't hamper your day ????
just go by your self this is how you realy never have a problem !

I rather go solo than with a bunch of students
just be carefull and you don't need a buddy ( they just #$%&&^^% up a dive any how!

:11: WHAT???
Hey, no offense to you lone wolves out there, you mountain men of the ocean, you rebel James Dean-types BUT if everyone thought like that then who would help the newbies (like myself) learn to become better and safer divers???
And I don't agree that a buddy messes up a dive. Maybe it's because I'm well-adjusted, pleasant and sociable that I just don't understand this kind of attitude. Maybe you're just an anti-social personality or have had a bad string of selfish dive buddies. I'm sorry but having a friend to relive the dives you do together on dry land is one of the greatest parts of diving. Who else could totally understand your excitement? We won't even go into the numerous safety issues....
I agree with several others when I say find a good buddy. Then practice and communicate before you dive together. Heck, it just makes sense.
Maybe solo is best for you but I say thank goodness for good dive buddies! Most I think would agree.

Genesis:
Consider that you can take an "AOW" class, and be certified to do "deep dives", with as few as five actual open water dives when you start, and about 10 when you get that AOW card. Ten dives, yet you're "certified" to do dives to 100'.

I'm with you on this one Genesis. I'll be taking my AOW in July and have only been able to dive once since I got my C-card. the majority of that is due to monetary restrictions and my husbands work schedule but I know that I need to get my but out there before the class because I don't feel like I should be taking Advanced anything with my current experience and feel like I will learn more if I'm not focused on my buoyancy and basics.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom