Is this normal for a charter?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Nay, the "advanced" in AOW is a bit of a misnomer. AOW is really a chance to
work on the basic skills one more time, and as such, it's really OW Part II.

opinions, vary, but the AOW class is most helpful when taken after 10-15 OW dives.
if you wait much longer, it won't do you much good.

and may i recommend that you take AOW if for no other reason than you can take
Rescue? it's an awesome class, and it will make you a much, much safer diver.

I want those new divers to know that I really enjoy going with new divers. They find some of the simplest things exciting. I've been with many new divers in Lake Mead and love to show them around. I've had a great time showing them how to find clams. I point to a spot on the bottom, they look at me funny, I reach down and pull out a clam. They get all excited and they are off on a new adventure. I think there is nothing more fun than an excited new diver that wants to learn.

DiveKitty68:
:11: WHAT???
Hey, no offense to you lone wolves out there, you mountain men of the ocean, you rebel James Dean-types BUT if everyone thought like that then who would help the newbies (like myself) learn to become better and safer divers???

There's lots of us out there who enjoy diving with newbies.

FWIW - I'd rather dive with a newbie who's willing to listen and learn than with a more experienced diver who's not willing to adapt to fit the needs of their buddy. Or worse yet, someone who's just plain unsafe, but has gotten away with it for so long they think it's normal.

I once did a boat dive with a guy who was an AI ... and pretty experienced diver ... who skipped his safety stop after the dive. I laid on my back at 15 fsw for three minutes, watching him on the surface. When I ascended he asked me why I took so long to surface. I said "safety stop?" ... to which he replied "I only do those when I'm shore diving". Go figure ...

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

NWGratefulDiver:
There's lots of us out there who enjoy diving with newbies.

FWIW - I'd rather dive with a newbie who's willing to listen and learn than with a more experienced diver who's not willing to adapt to fit the needs of their buddy. Or worse yet, someone who's just plain unsafe, but has gotten away with it for so long they think it's normal.

... Bob (Grateful Diver)
wanna go diving? I adapt.:D you have an excellent point, GW. we newbies are still moldable, not like some people who already know everything and therefore shun (or 'don't need') your help or advice.

Spiderman - you sound like an excellent and fun teacher. To take pleasure in another's happiness is a great gift. One that keeps giving as long as you do.
:wave-smil :wave-smil Thanks to all those divers who give of themselves and share their time and knowledge.

Genesis:
.... the only way you avoid being like this diver, in the end, is to learn as much as you can, and advance only at a pace which you are comfortable with, never trusting that anyone else (even an instructor!) is going to "keep you safe."

This is both more work and slower than just buying classes - but, IMHO, its the right thing to do.

Consider that you can take an "AOW" class, and be certified to do "deep dives", with as few as five actual open water dives when you start, and about 10 when you get that AOW card. Ten dives, yet you're "certified" to do dives to 100'.

I agree with Genisis, I can't believe it, that you never trust anyone to "keep you safe". I try to strive that in my OW classes that each person is responsible for their own safety. IMHO, a buddy it there to share the dive experience, assist in case of a problem, but NOT there to bail anyone out of stupidity.

Your statement of AOW is not totally accurate about be "certified" to dive 100'. As soon as you are certified you can dive as deep as you are crazy enough to go. I can teach a student why they shouldn't, what is recommended and WHY it isn't smart to do deep dives without proper training and gear. I haven't run into many scuba police at 60' checking for AOW cards.

DiveKitty68:
:11: WHAT???
Hey, no offense to you lone wolves out there, you mountain men of the ocean, you rebel James Dean-types BUT if everyone thought like that then who would help the newbies (like myself) learn to become better and safer divers???
And I don't agree that a buddy messes up a dive.

Most of us don't mind diving with newbies DivKitty. It makes many of us feel like we know more than we do. :11: Actually I enjoy diving with newbies quite a bit because I love hearing the excitement and new outlook on things that are no longer new to me. It helps keep me excited about diving. Besides most of the time it brings me back to the reality of diving. I'm just a diver, don't matter how many cards you carry with you.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom