Is this going to be the new norm?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

As a relatively new member, at just over a year, who has been away from diving for a long time, I have found SB to be a wonderfully helpful place to learn. Occasionally you come across banter between members that comes off a little harsh but no more so than sitting around the table at my in laws in the sticks of New Hampshire :wink:.

We all still have the same problems with remaining on the same level of discussion. IE you ask a beginner question and some one takes it to a tech level and the bcikering begins again.

This has happened to a couple of threads I’ve started, and you can watch it slide away, but I have sometimes learned from those situations, as well. Sometimes not, because, at that moment, I just didn’t care. I also start paying more attention when this guy comes out to play :popcorn:. Usually a good show is about to begin.

Do unto others as you would have them do unto you is a good rule to live by online and face to face. That often leads some to express complaints that to do so is being politically correct but in my opinion that is not the same thing.

I agree. This is more about manners than being politically correct, which I find lacking more and more. By the way, I think you mods do a pretty good job on here.

@divad, I’m checking out your posts as often as possible because I’m never sure if they will be serious or something a bit snarky. I do find them quite often to be very funny, though. But I have to ask, what the heck does ........................ mean??

Erik

If we do not like the level of discourse in society we only need to look in the mirror. Put two shows on TV. One is a few knowledgable calm people discussing a topic. The other is A vs B shouting at each other and not actually trying to understand the issue. The first will die of poor ratings. The second will be renewed and moved to prime time. As for politicians. They got elected. They want to be reelected. They must be doing what they think will get them reelected.

Fortunately there are a few places where discussions are usually calm. Some humor is allowed if not too personal like scuba board.

Like any groups there are times in conversations with running "jokes" which a new member may not recognize like the split fins comments. They will learn. Also there are personal connections with people. There are folks on SB that I have dove with, even at least one I taught in a nonscuba class (hi tbone). Some of their comments may have a nuance or humor that a new member may miss.

If you're interested in seeing people debate a topic about which they deeply disagree on a philosophical level but who do so very respectfully then look at this video. It's as good an example as I've ever seen of how this should be done. In fact, I'd say it's so good that if I were a teacher I would show every student this as a training tool in learning how to debate.

Personally, I think that it stems at least in part from a good place. People are passionate about diving on this forum. Sometimes when discussing differing opinions about a subject that one is passionate about those differing opinions are expressed in a constructive manner in which people genuinely want to hear the other point of view perhaps to broaden their own knowledge and sometimes, it degrades into an argument.

Sometimes, some people need to be reminded that no matter how strong their opinion is, that it is, after all, merely an opinion, not a fact. We also have people from around the world on here who are trying to express themselves in their second (or third) language and subtle nuances may be lost in translation and unintentionally seem abrupt, or augmentative. We also have people on here with a huge number of posts and they may think of other posters as their friends and may take certain "liberties" when discussing something with someone that they see as a friend that others may see as being argumentative.

I have had some people get pretty argumentative with me in the past, and after I realize that they have nothing constructive to add to the conversation, they typically get a response along the lines of "Thank you for your input. Noted. Moving on."

@divad, I But I have to ask, what the heck does ........................ mean??
Erik[/QUOTE]

Self-censored

I first registered here in 07 under a different user name. Had to take a break from diving due to medical issues, and could not remember log in info, so registered again.

I feel that the site is a great deal more pleasant than it used to be. I still don't post a lot, but I do read threads daily. Doesn't seem, to me, to be as many hateful posts that contain little to no information.

Only my opinion, with no particular threads, posts, or members in mind. Just an overall, general feeling.

Lobo

I have noticed a trend in different threads that seems to be increasing. It seems that replys are slowly becoming more argumentative, subtly snarky, and "us vs them", I gotta' win.
Being a jerk has to be its own reward (since you're definitely not getting any other for it!)

That said, I'm not sure I've noticed the same trend, if not to say the opposite. Be it over the last few years or for as long as I can remember; Usenet wasn't a nice place by any stretch of the word.

I've come across SB a decade ago, but was too intimidated to join at the time, as I felt I hadn't done enough deep air solo dives, started enough dive agencies, or discovered enough fluffy bunnies to contribute. Now that sounds too silly to even recall.

I think SB has improved over the years and mellowed like a good wine.
I remember the days when diving forums were REALLY bad. One small group pretty much caused it all. It was all peace and love before that. It’s funny, a lot of the worst offenders don’t even dive anymore, or at least have not been seen in years on forums. I see a lot more tolerance and informative info now about things like solo diving, no BC diving, PADI training, split fins, and other things that would have caused a firestorm of controversy before. Even talking about deep air doesn’t cause as much anger and ridicule as it used to. Now I see some of the more experienced deep divers explaining in an intelligent and proffesional manner why it might not be such a good idea.
I try not let this place ruin my mellow like it used to. But in my (real) world and where I dive, we’re all pretty layed back.

However, the more heated discussions still seem to develop the more “technical” the diving gets.
And cave diving, I don’t know man, still seems like still a lot of angst within their world. Why is that?

I can just repeat my previous message
How this looks to Russian forums :)
We have a joke - how to find russian diver in the international team? (because they read too much russian diving forums)
"He will use backplate and wing (Halcyon probably), he will have long hose regulator. He will use only Jetfins. All his wear will black."
once I understood, that it is not joke. Once I meet in Egypt, far south hotel in ElQuseir, man, who was weared so. He speaks english, and I think - wow, I meet true foreighn DIR diver... but later he starts speak with me in russian!!!! :) he was from ex Ugoslavia :)

So, SB looks like gentlemen, opposit to most Russian diving forums. Here your most discussion like noble talks, opposit to our forum battles...
SB looks like gentlemen, opposit to most Russian diving forums. Here your most discussion like noble talks, opposit to our forum battles.

SB looks like gentlemen, opposit to most Russian diving forums. Here your most discussion like noble talks, opposit to our forum battles.
Быть дружелюбным не случайно!

That's not exactly how I would have phrased it, but since I don't have a Cyrillic keyboard, I have to use a translator! :D :D :D For those who don't read Russian: "Being nice (friendly) is no accident!"

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom