Is this computer right for me?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

The Garmin G1 is a good choice, if I didn’t want AI that is what I would buy. Look at the solar version, if you can afford it, for the better battery life.

Although I haven't yet used it for diving, I really like the G1 Solar that I got about a month ago. I use it for activity tracking (mostly cycling several hours a week) and love the fact I only need to charge it up once a week. I am pretty sure that when diving, it will require more frequent charging. No buyer's remorse at all and now I have a second DC.

From what I can tell, there is AI potential?

I would not but a scuba pc that didnt have it at least as an option.

I know the original post wasn't about the MK2i, but if you can, I would highly recommend you save up and splurge on it (as well as the tank pod). I began diving using the Oceanic Pro Plus 4.0 (which I love) and recently upgraded to the MK2i. It is absolutely an amazing watch/dive computer. Being an active hiker and Mountaineer as well, it does just as well at altitude as it does at depth. Super easy to use and if you have a dive buddy who uses it too, it takes out the stopping time to check air with each other as you can monitor each others air. I would seriously think about the MK2i instead of the G1 especially if you plan on really getting into diving. It makes it that much more enjoyable.

I know the original post wasn't about the MK2i, but if you can, I would highly recommend you save up and splurge on it (as well as the tank pod). I began diving using the Oceanic Pro Plus 4.0 (which I love) and recently upgraded to the MK2i. It is absolutely an amazing watch/dive computer. Being an active hiker and Mountaineer as well, it does just as well at altitude as it does at depth. Super easy to use and if you have a dive buddy who uses it too, it takes out the stopping time to check air with each other as you can monitor each others air. I would seriously think about the MK2i instead of the G1 especially if you plan on really getting into diving. It makes it that much more enjoyable.
Please provide detailed steps on how to buy mk2i without the wife getting mad..... Asking for a friend.

Please provide detailed steps on how to buy mk2i without the wife getting mad..... Asking for a friend.
"Honey,.I know that this is expensive and I wouldn't want to put any hardship on the family, and as someone can live a healthy life with just one kidney, since I have two healthy kidneys, I've decided to....."

This is how my purchase of my MK2i went:

wife: "You just spent $1,700 on SCUBA stuff... WTF did you but this time" (after getting a ping from the bank on the purchase)
DL01 - "I got a new computer and tank pod"
wife - "You have a computer that works already..."
DL01 - "Should we go into the closet and count pairs of shoes which haven't been worn yet and still in the box?"
wife - "Enjoy your ******* computer..."

I have the same problem, which is why I don’t have one yet!
In all seriousness, I don't quite understand why this is an issue. I invested in a rebreather last year. My wife didn't object either. She just asks when I will stop buying dive gear and I give her the same answer: never.

I told her when we first met, paraphrasing a guy I knew on the Mt. Hood Ski Patrol said to his wife on their first date: "I was diving when I met you, I'll be diving when I forget you."

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom