Is this computer right for me?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

The apple watch ultra is supposed to be submersible to 50 meters
The Apple Watch Ultra is submersible to 100 m. The oceanic diving app (80$/year) only functions down to 40 meters.

Sorry just bring nitpicky. (It's the only thing i know about Apple 🤫)

The Apple Watch Ultra is submersible to 100 m. The oceanic diving app (80$/year) only functions down to 40 meters.

Sort of. It’s technically correct that the Oceanic app only functions to a certain depth. It warns, but still tracks up to 44M. However, thanks to a member here who made an app to export the dive log, it appears that it’s not Oceanic’s decision.

The app pulls from the HealthKit which is in the Apple part of the watch, not Oceanic+, and that recorded nothing deeper than the 44M depth, so it seems that the Oceanic app doesn’t function deeper than that because the watch doesn’t provide depth data deeper than that.

Post in thread 'New App to export dive data from the Apple Watch Ultra'
New App to export dive data from the Apple Watch Ultra

Not sure I'd trust my life to an apple watch anyway. At best, maybe a backup to a real computer.

Just finished putting a couple of dives on the Apple Watch Ultra with Oceanic+ this past weekend.
  1. It was not my primary dive computer
  2. It requires you to press the action button, to acknowledge the "I'm fit and ready to dive" declaration, otherwise the watch will not record your dive.
  3. It seems overly sensitive to arm movements. Raising my hand from my waist to my face to read the watch was sometimes misinterpreted as too fast an ascent.
  4. It is insanely easy to read and navigate through secondary screens.
  5. Battery life is ok-ish. I only did 2 dives but fiddled with it a lot during surface interval and on the ride back into port, I had just under 50% when we disembarked.
  6. No deco times are indicated by a green bar spanning the width of the screen, it shortens and turns yellow if you start approaching no deco limits.
  7. Warnings and alerts are very clear and easy to understand (safety stop, slow your ascent)
  8. It is clearly designed purely for recreational diving limits, which is fine based on my needs.
  9. It automatically ends and logs the dive the moment you surface. If you re-submerge, you would need to acknowledge the "I'm fit and ready to dive" declaration once again, and it would then record a second dive.

All and all, I liked how easy it was to read, and how closely it mirrored my primary computer for accuracy. I think a few kinks need to be ironed out, but I see a lot of potential further down the road.

Admittedly I'm about as new as they get, but when I bought an Atmos Mission 2, I was attracted to the altimeter, compass, GPS and "smart" features, that I thought would be cool for my other terrestrial pursuits. I found that these other doo-dads included to enhance the value didn't work reliably. So, I decided to buy a DC that does just what DC's are supposed to do without the frills. So I sent it back and got a Peregrine. Peace of mind.

I find the compass in the Perdix 2 to be pretty useless, but I haven't spent much time playing with it either. I found that it tended to wander back and forth a lot before stabilizing on your heading. Also had to keep it squared right in front of me, which I can do, but then it's too close and I can't see it without reading glasses. Old school compass on a retractor is much easier.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom