Is this club active?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I think DCRI kinda got rolled up into RogueIslandDivers@yahoogroups.com after it folded. I might be wrong. You might consider joining RogueIslandDivers@yahoogroups.com they are a good bunch and Red at Giant Strides Dive shop is top notch. They also run a lot of charters from the store. I'm looking forward to a lot of diving this season. Hope I run into you on the 25th.

My buddy and I will be there next weekend unless it is cancelled due to weather. Am looking forward to it. I've been trying to get out as much as possible this winter so I am looking forward to "going South" for some warm water - is it 50 yet??? The coldest I saw was 37 but it's up to 48 now. I dove the Fort past Eisenhower House a few times last summer and am aware of the viz and conditions there. I only stayed in the shallows as the viz was 6' or less and I was solo and wasn't familiar with the area. Hope to get out a little deeper into the bay. Does anyone have plans for a second dive in the afternoon somewhere else if it's a nice day? I'll be bringing a large bag of chips and fixings for finger sandwiches for 8 people or so.

Disregard what I said about the water being 48 here. When I think back on it I took that reading last Saturday at Nubble on the surface ledges after a week of warm weather. I'm sure the rocks had warmed up the water. After reading the surf reports just now it looks like the water temps are 42-44, the same as at Newport.

Last edited:
Here's the info from my last dive in Jamestown across the bay from Newport

The weather was sunny and calm. The water was typical RI the shallow depths had vis of about 10'-12'max the deeper depths were less clear maybe 5'-7'. The surface temp was 47-48F the bottom temp was 42-43F, max depth 43' bottom time 34min.

Since the gulf stream hasn't completed it's westward movement yet the water here is about the same as where you are. Try this site for water temps

Sea Surface Temperature - IMCS Coastal Ocean Observation Lab

Also there is more activity on the New England Lobsta Divahs site than here. The dive info I posted here was taken from that site.

http://www.giantstridediveshop.com/index.asp

Last edited:
I dove throughout the winter in the Newport area. I usually dive Ft Adams at least once a week and can dive with you over the summer. There are other nice spots to work on skills and see a variety of creatures. You can PM me anytime you think you'll be in the area.

Been diving 3 times so far this season with just a wet suit :) In the Sound once about 3 weeks ago and the back side of Fisher's island 2 weeks ago and last weekend. Last weekend the water was really clear. I think a few of us are diving this Saturday maybe Sunday too.

Andy

Thanks Margery. I've looked them both up. Turns out, I almost went to a Giant Stride club meeting in November - emailed for information from their website but never heard back from anyone. But I've joined the yahoo groups and will see what happens.

Thanks also Sean. I'll check out the Old Colony Amphibians website. Hopefully between all of these resources, I'll manage to get my butt in the cold, cold water!
havent found clubs either but am going to be a frequent diver in narragansett area on the weekends of this coming spring/summer/fall, let me know how the yahoo thin works because i am too lazy to have to check all these web sites to find ppl to dive with, wish there was an easy FB group or something would make things so much easier. if you would ever like to dive i am always looking for dive partners. look me up on FB Jamie Kimball in Greenwich CT or email me at JAmieb.kimball@yahoo.com CANT WAIT TILL WARMER WATERS until then..

havent found clubs either but am going to be a frequent diver in narragansett area on the weekends of this coming spring/summer/fall, let me know how the yahoo thin works because i am too lazy to have to check all these web sites to find ppl to dive with, wish there was an easy FB group or something would make things so much easier. if you would ever like to dive i am always looking for dive partners. look me up on FB Jamie Kimball in Greenwich CT or email me at JAmieb.kimball@yahoo.com CANT WAIT TILL WARMER WATERS until then..

Hello all,

DCRI is pack up and running out of Giant Stride Dive shop on Warwick ave in Warwick RI, we meet once a month, we have a yahoo group and will be setting up dives when the weather is warmer. Call Red at Giant Stride Dive Shop for more info. ITs a great group of people. Come join us

Back
Top Bottom