Is this a good deal or not?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Karlbiederman

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
My LDS has some rental gear for sale. It is about 1 year old.

Sherwood Wisdom Dive computer with compass
Sherwood Oasis Regulator **edited** I thought is was a brut but was corrected
Sherwood Shadow + Octo.

All will come with full waranty.

He is asking about $999.00 **edited** He lowered the price

Thanks for helping.

Karl,

It's not that bad... but I'd rethink my priorities. I wouldn't spend $700 on a dive computer and $300 on my entire regulator kit.

Get a cheaper wrist mount computer and a better regulator.. and DO NOT get the Minimus Octo. It breathes about as well as a straw, and that's not what you want someone to go through when they're panicing and out of air.

pants!:
It's not that bad... but I'd rethink my priorities. I wouldn't spend $700 on a dive computer and $300 on my entire regulator kit.

Get a cheaper wrist mount computer and a better regulator.. and DO NOT get the Minimus Octo. It breathes about as well as a straw, and that's not what you want someone to go through when they're panicing and out of air.

I have no experience with the Wisdom, and cannot comment. But, although I like some Sherwood regs, ( Oasis and Blizzard) the Brut is the worst breather of the line, and the Shadow + octo is just plain terrible. The Brut is VERY reliable, just not an easy breathing reg. I sold my Shadow+ (almost new) for less than half of what I paid, but was happy to be rid of it.

What kind of "full warranty"?

I believe Sherwood -- like others -- only warrants its gear to the original owner. So if this gear had been used as rentals, you wouldn't get the Sherwood warranty with it.

If this is former-rental gear, maybe the LDS is offering an equivalent warranty on their own?

--Marek

I totally missed the "rental" line.

That's a downright ripoff for rental gear.

scubatoys:
Seems to be about a fair price if it was all new in the box... for a year old rental... might be a tad on the high side.
A tad?!

pants!:
I totally missed the "rental" line.

That's a downright ripoff for rental gear.
Um, yeah, I on the other hand didn't consider what he was offering and for what price.

You can get a new Sherwood Wisdom console with compass (no quick disconnect), with manufacturer's warranty, for about $700. Oasis reg is about $320. Shadow+ octo is 130. (You're sure it's the Shadow+? The Shadow+ is attached to the BC inflator hose. The "conventional" version of that is the Minimus, for about $95.)

So that would be somewhere around $1,115 or $1,150. Brand new, with warranty.

For one-year-old rental gear, $999 would be a "tad" high. "Ripoff" comes to mind, too.

Since he's already reducing the price (duh), it might be worthwhile to see just how low he would come. I'd offer -- what -- maybe $400 for the bunch?

--Marek

Juls64:
I would also question why he is selling gear after only 1 year.

Juls
Some places turn over rental gear yearly or so. They can sell it to someone who wants a deal while it's still in decent shape and their rental gear stays up to date instead of slowly turning to crap. But it's used (possibly well used) and should be a good deal for the buyer, not just the shop.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom