Is this a good camera for a beginner?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

dbh:
It looks like Dive Sports will go even cheaper if you call them. I have bought wetsuits and my my Apeks regulators from Phil (Dive Sports). I still send them back to them for their yearly servicing. They are a great operation.

About the camera.....IMHO you will out grow it very fast. You need a camera that has manual control (ie: aperture & shutter speed) at the least. If you are on a tight budget get somthing like an Olympus 5060 in a Olympus PT housing (probably $600 - $650 range). Use the internal strobe until such a time as you can afford an external strobe.

HTH,
Dave

You're correct. He can go lower on certain items. Some items have a dealer agreement that they can't "Nationally advertise" lower than a certain price. I bought my Henderson Wetsuit there and they had it on sale for $220 (3mm hyperstretch). At the time he had it for about $240 or $245 on his website and I asked why the difference and he said he couldn't advertise it lower because of the dealer agreement. I just got a new regulator from them also! I've had nothing but good experiences with them.

As for Scuba Toys vs. Dive Sports on where to buy, I've never heard anyone unhappy with either of them. They both do a huge amount of sales and both have lots of happy customers who talk about each's great customer service.

But I think dave is right, if you want to get big into underwater photography, then you'll outgrow the Reefmaster quickly enough as it's really a "point and shoot". But if all you want to do is snap some cool pic's to share your dive experience with others (like I do), then it'll do good. One of these days I'd like to have one of the $2,000 super-duper-camera-sets, but unfortually that's a lot of $$$ and I don't get to dive near as much as I used to or as much as I want to. Just depends on what you want to do is al......

-mike

I prefer the a housed Cannon or Olypus but when you concider that the SeaLife comes with an external flash for the $500+ price it's a great deal. The flash will have far greater effect on image quality then an extra megapixel.

If your photos will only be viewed on a computer screen or it you don't print larger than 4x6 the 3MP size camera is more than enough.

I doubt you can get anything with an external flash for less money

ScubaCollin:
http://scubatoys.com/store/detail.asp?PRODUCT_ID=310ProKit

If not is there anything better out there I can get for that price?

ChrisA:
I prefer the a housed Cannon or Olypus but when you concider that the SeaLife comes with an external flash for the $500+ price it's a great deal. The flash will have far greater effect on image quality then an extra megapixel.

If your photos will only be viewed on a computer screen or it you don't print larger than 4x6 the 3MP size camera is more than enough.

I doubt you can get anything with an external flash for less money

I completely agree with you on the 3mp, trouble is both the strobe and camera have fixed setting. We had 2 of these in a pool doing UW photograhy workshop this weekend. It was very obvious from our test photos that it was going to be difficult to take correctly exposed pictures with this combo. At less than about 4 ft the pictues were way over exposed without the diffuser attached. While we did not have a macro setup at our disposal, most of us agreed that without some more diffusing of the stobe, macro shots were going to be badly over exposed. I see 2 possible middle of the road options. Buy this camera w/macor lens but without the strobe and add an adjustable strobe, something like the Inon D180 or D2000 or buy a adjustable camera like the C5060 and buy (used maybe) a Sealife or similar inexpensive fixed power stobe. I would think with a combination of a diffuser and the manual setting on the camera you could get some pretty good pictuers. The latter would be my choice.

I didn't know that the camera was completly non-adjustable. What the heck do all those buttons on the back do? I thought the 300 was not adjustable and the 310 alowed for some control. OK I'm wrong.

It's realy easy to suggest a good camera system if money is unlimited. But what if you have a $500 budget? He wants a camera system for about $500. No way to get an inon and a housed camera for that price.

One idea I intended to try out soon: I found out they make inexpensive non-underwater digital slave strobes. For $50. Does most of what you'd want, just not waterproof.
I'm going to put one of these in a mini-pelican case with a clear lid. Rumer has it that the cases are waterproof to 100+ feet. I'll test the empty case then a case with $50 strob inside. OK it is non-adjustable when inside the case. I'll buy two setups, set one at 1/2 or 1/4 power/ At $68 bucks I can afford two. What would realy be fun would be to put an Ikelite control in the pelican case. A strobe housing can be _realy_ cheap because you don't need an optical port. I could even put colored gels in the strobe housing, something you can't do with the expensive Inon.

herman:
I completely agree with you on the 3mp, trouble is both the strobe and camera have fixed setting. We had 2 of these in a pool doing UW photograhy workshop this weekend. It was very obvious from our test photos that it was going to be difficult to take correctly exposed pictures with this combo. At less than about 4 ft the pictues were way over exposed without the diffuser attached. While we did not have a macro setup at our disposal, most of us agreed that without some more diffusing of the stobe, macro shots were going to be badly over exposed. I see 2 possible middle of the road options. Buy this camera w/macor lens but without the strobe and add an adjustable strobe, something like the Inon D180 or D2000 or buy a adjustable camera like the C5060 and buy (used maybe) a Sealife or similar inexpensive fixed power stobe. I would think with a combination of a diffuser and the manual setting on the camera you could get some pretty good pictuers. The latter would be my choice.

If you're trying to get a camera and housing for under $500 i think i'd get an older digi-cam and housing. Something like an older canon A-series (maybe A75) can be had for well under 300 bucks. and the housing for under 200 here:
http://www.jr.com/JRProductPage.process?Product=3967131

I'm getting a newer digi cam just because it's also gonna be my only above-ground camera so i'm rationalizing the cost :wink:

As an ex-Michiganer (a really ex-Michaganer, we're talking 25 years, and I never dove the great lakes), if you're in Sault-Saint Marie, the first question is what is your normal diving situation? Are you diving the north side of Michigan or Huron, or Lake Superior? What's the viz? How bad is the turbidity? A stobe is priceless if you're shooting close in without much turbidity, in my opinion its much more valuable than the high pixel count of some cameras, provided you're good enough to get close to your target. But if you're shooting wide angle type shots, the strobe isn't worth anything for shots outside of a few feet, you really need manual white balance, aperture, and shutter speed for that (or a hell of a lot of natural light if you're going to use an automatic mode). I have a C5050 with an external strobe. I love it compared to my first camersa (a Canon S50 with no external strobe). If I had it to do over again, I would have preferred to have spent the money on the C5050 and an external strobe in the first place, and skipped the S50. There are a lot of posters in Scubaboard that have galleries - you should look at the gallery's of assorted posters that specify the camera type they used. If you like what you see for the Sealife, and its in conditions similar to what you're diving in, by all means get it. If you don't like the exampels form the Sealife, but do like the higher end cameras, maybe you ought to reconsider.

The second question is, how serious are you about photography and diving? If you know you're serious about it, skip the "beginner" camera, you'll eventually want a more advanced camera anyway. The price you're looking at is reasonable, but would you want to spend $500+ on something you'll eventually want to throw away anyway? These days, I'd be looking at a C8080 - you don't have to be very close to get a reasonable "print" size (I usually want something at 1280x1042 for screen wallpaper, and that is additionally more than enough for the typical 4x6 print), giving you a lot of room for "mistakes", and the price is not unreasonable. Keep in mind that many people would consider me rich out the *****. So, you might want to consider used/new 5 Megapixel cameras like the 5050 or 5060 with an external strobe, which give you a lot of room for recovering from imperfections (which you will have even if you're an advanced photographer, an intermediate with the photograph burr up your *** like me, let alone a beginner). If you know you'll seriously get into underwater photograpy, and can't afford any of the prosumer alternatives right now, you might want to consider saving up for the better camera instead of trying to do things on the cheap. If you don't think you're going to be ultra-serious about underwater photography, I've seen some pretty good shots with the Sealife, its a good value.

Also remember that you need to consider spending some money on a decent PC photo-editor program if its not included with the camera. No matter how good you are, you can almost always make your photo better by clipping it and doing some slight modifications for contrast and color balance with a photo editor, especially if you're a beginner (and photo editing is not "cheating", you should be striving to make yourself happy with pictures that allow you to remember your wonderful dives, not impress others, don't let anyone convince you othewise). Photo-elements comes with a lot of cameras, I don't know if it comes with the Sealife. I myself have been using JASC (or is it Corel now) Paint Shop Pro 9.0, but that's still running 75-100 bucks without an upgrade depending on where you look. If the Sealife doesn't include a good photo-editor, its an extra cost to add in, and may make some of the prosumer cameras more competitive.

Back
Top Bottom