Is this a crazy vacation idea... OR can it be done?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Someone has to say this,
Green?

LOL.... Greenland.

My husband was stationed there for a year remote, Thule AFB satellite tracking station.
The ocean is too cold to dive in winter and bays are frozen solid. In fact, it is so cold in winter some days they could not even leave the barracks to go into work across base (wind chill, wind, blizzards, etc) In summer, for about a month or two, the bays melt slightly, water is still unbelieveably cold and ice bergs are floating around in bays. They do a "polar bear swim" in summertime, one day everyone puts of swimsuits and jumps in the water. Ambulances and paramedics are standing on shore for a reason! I have photos of when he did this. They did some hiking around the base area in summer, still deep snow everywhere and they had to wear heavy parkas, hats, gloves.... brrrrrrr! Greenland is nothing but a big lump of ice.
No freakin' way anyone would go there to scuba dive, IMHO.

robin

Is the South Western part of Greenland, city of Nuuk diveable during summer? I understand that it would still be very cold but people go to Antarctic to dive under the ice sheet.

Is the South Western part of Greenland, city of Nuuk diveable during summer? I understand that it would still be very cold but people go to Antarctic to dive under the ice sheet.

You could find the same type of diving on the coast of Labrador, same flora and fauna,
but better access.

<snip> Since then, my friend has built and operates a small resort in Anani'y, Anitque.
<snip>

Care to share the name of your friend's resort? I went to some off the beaten track places during my last trip to the PI and while the diving may not have been extraordinary in some cases, it was a welcome change nonetheless.

I think combining some research and diving in nordic countries could yeild some interesting archeological results. I'd dive Greenland or Iceland, Norway too! If you want to see what everybody else see's, go where everybody else goes. If you want to see something new, think outside the box.

Look up a video called Encounters at the end of the world by Werner Herzog.
Trailer >>>> http://www.google.com/url?sa=t&source=video&cd=1&ved=0CDMQtwIwAA&url=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.youtube.com%2Fwatch%3Fv%3DMImYM87jOtU&ei=wuUKTbOEO4-2sAP-sZmlCg&usg=AFQjCNEEoLraJt39J5dQvKq7_xeWOvlSmA&sig2=7BApAcNkqaQoOCkTN18Jqw

I think combining some research and diving in nordic countries could yeild some interesting archeological results.
What kind of archeological finds are we talking about? This just gets me more interested.

That's for you to discover.

There is an Indigenous history, an exploration history and a military history.
People who seek discovery look at old newspaper reports, historical documents, maps of old settlements and local accounts of events. It's a lot of work that might be considered boring for only a potential payoff but the search can be half the fun.

I dive in a local lake that borders on a military base. Urban legend has it that some military vehicles and even a Bailey bridge have been sunk in it. I've probably done 50 dives in that lake, many of them boring, but just today I found parts of the Bailey bridge (I think).

Care to share the name of your friend's resort? I went to some off the beaten track places during my last trip to the PI and while the diving may not have been extraordinary in some cases, it was a welcome change nonetheless.

Untitled

The Divehouse. The above link, untitled, is their site.
It's right on the southwest tip of Panay. There is a small island about 2 miles offshore called Nogas.
About a 2 hour drive from Iloilo City or 3 hours from Caticlan, where you land to go to Boracay.
Great bunch of people. The owner's family (Saldana) also owns and operates Isla Naburot, Isla Naburot Resort | Facebook
on Guimaras Island, near Iloilo.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom