Is there anyone diving tiny doubles? Need some input.

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I am using an AL backplate with this set up. So I need 6lbs with my drysuit. in another couple weeks I will be in a 7mm wet. I am assuming I will only need 2lbs if that.
Probably but its best to test it out and see exactly what you need.

Probably but its best to test it out and see exactly what you need.
Yes, I do a proper weight check every time I change any configuration, or dive location. I only stated I am making the assumption based on the weight changes between my 7mm, and this particular drysuit. So the 2lb weight is where I would start and adjust before the 1st dive in the wetsuit vs the dry suit

Yes, I do a proper weight check every time I change any configuration, or dive location.
Sorry if I misunderstood.
Personally, I have a spreadsheet where I log diff configurations of dive gear with the amount of weight needed for each. So you are on the right path.

Sorry if I misunderstood.
Personally, I have a spreadsheet where I log diff configurations of dive gear with the amount of weight needed for each. So you are on the right path.

Oh no need to be sorry. My fault for not being clear about it being a reference weight to start from. I keep both a written and a digital log of all my dives and such. Between, instructing, rec dives, tech dives, solo dives, and multiple dive locations I dive, configuration and thermal protection changes.... its a lot of weight changes too. So I always have a reference as to what weighting I should start with based on the past dives. Just the diving here alone in AZ, water temps change from 47* F in winter to 90* late summer and multiple thermal clines. Depending on the dive, I go from board shorts and T shirt, AL backplate single AL80, all the way through SS BP, doubles, dry suit, and multiple layers of under garments. Keeping track of it all, makes it easy to reference.

I have even had to in a single day go from single AL80, AL BP, 3mm wetsuit, to sidemount 7mm wetsuit, to steel 120's and a dry suit, 3 different classes in 1 day. Talk about buoyancy changes....

These new mini doubles, are for my own solo, rec dives. and I now have 30+ dives in them. water is starting to warm up, so I know I will be in a 7mm from my drysuit in a few weeks. So it will be the 1st time I have to make a weight change in them. Just starting at 2lbs, based on other configurations and changing thermal protection levels.

I used to dive tiny doubles. Each tank was about .5 cubic feet, so by the time I geared up, tested everything, and splashed in, I was out of air and had to call the dive. They were really light and small, but I never got to see much.

In our country was very popular lightweight and slim scuba named Юнга (shipboy)
2 x 4L x 200 atm (=56.5 ft3)
4306-1350582983-6814.jpg

4113-1347220198-6280.jpg

many young men prefer it for diving, than another popular twin tanks like AVM-5 (2 x 8 L x 150 or 200 atm)

but most nice TINY twin tanks is Diving Without BCD
splash_03w-jpg.460478.jpg

and I prefer twin sidemount tanks. For me - it is most comfortable
I have 2 x 7L x 300 bar (=148 ft3), composite tanks.
Also I like steel tanks for SM - it is very nice.

My friend use doubles 2x7Lx300 steel
twins.jpg

Just a report update. Anyone looking to get into a set of tiny doubles..... DO IT!!! I now have 26 dives in my 50’s in just under a month. Absolutely awesome!!! Easily filled tranfilling between dives. Warning tho.... I have been diving them so much I ended up getting my own compressor. I got the Max-air 35. Now I can do my own fills at home (I live on the lake). So I fill my own tanks during surface intervals. Getting a dive in almost every morning before work. Some days 2-3 dives in them.

Absolutely worth every penny invested for the tiny doubles. Using the 120’s for tech dives and the mini’s for rec dives. Far better then diving singles. Just my opinion. Thank you all for your help in the decision making process and advice on setting up the mini’s

Still loving your tiny doubles?

I have been getting the itch for a set of tiny doubles for shore and inlet dives. And to maintain consistency with gear configuration.

Still loving your tiny doubles?

I have been getting the itch for a set of tiny doubles for shore and inlet dives. And to maintain consistency with gear configuration.

Absolutely!!! Still by far my favorite configuration to dive.

Brilliant man, live it

Just a report update. Anyone looking to get into a set of tiny doubles..... DO IT!!! I now have 26 dives in my 50’s in just under a month. Absolutely awesome!!! Easily filled tranfilling between dives. Warning tho.... I have been diving them so much I ended up getting my own compressor. I got the Max-air 35. Now I can do my own fills at home (I live on the lake). So I fill my own tanks during surface intervals. Getting a dive in almost every morning before work. Some days 2-3 dives in them.

Absolutely worth every penny invested for the tiny doubles. Using the 120’s for tech dives and the mini’s for rec dives. Far better then diving singles. Just my opinion. Thank you all for your help in the decision making process and advice on setting up the mini’s

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom