Is there a salt water pool in Houston?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Just makes it easier to sort out weighting. I hate having to do it on the first boat dive of a trip and I'm not smart enough to work it out from fresh water.....

BJD - likewise. You going to the happy hour on the 3rd?

I dive salt and fresh water locally and switch a lot. I have found that by keeping the differential weight central (in my integrated pockets) I can reconfigure easily.

In my case I run 6 pounds more in the ocean so I have 3 pounds in each integrated pocket. The rest is on my belt and in my trim pockets. When I get to the lake I pull the integrated pockets and I'm good to go. I still have enough ditchable weight on the belt to cover that function just in case.

In case you didn't come across this the difference is based on the specific gravity difference in the waters. Salt water being 1.026 Vs fresh water being 1.00. Since your displacement is always the same it's just math. Find your total dry pre-dive weight, suit, gear, you, full cylinder and freshwater weight requirement. Mulitiply by .026 ( or use 1 pound for every 40) and add that for the ocean. For most divers it's between 5-8 pounds.

We do have one salt water pool locally but even that is only at 50% of ocean salinity and you need to make partrial allowance.

Pete

The highest concentration of salt a salt pool will run is 5000ppm. Most run in the 3000 range. Pete has a better idea.

I cannot speak for a pool but I have been in Offatt's Bayou at Galveston and it almost qualifies. It's just not really close is the problem.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom