Is there a new security regulations that not alow taking scuba tank on flight?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

roni

Registered
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
I just received a report of a customer that was not allow to check his empty tank on flight and had to send it as cargo.

roni at Protech:
I just received a report of a customer that was not allow to check his empty tank on flight and had to send it as cargo.
Hi Roni,

here the link in that regard that Joe posted a little while ago:
http://www.tsa.gov/public/interapp/editorial/editorial_1190.xml
This is TSA's official stand at the moment.
Problem is not everyone knows about it, even among the screeners.
Best bet is to print out the statement and carry it with you, maybe tape a copy to the tank(s).

There is another, international standard that airlines follow which contradicts the FAA's in that it specifically asks for cylinders to be stored as cargo, not inside the cabin. Forgot the number of it, though. I looked it up when the subject was discussed on the NW list.

That aside, there is no really good place to store cylinders onboard. Most flight personel will not like the idea of an overhead bin opening inadvertendly and a hunk of steel falling on some passenger. Safety and liability issues, I asked two European pilots and they both said tanks go into cargo bay with the rest of the luggage.

Stefan

Like a lot of people who fly and dive, I have seen relatively ad hoc application of some of the standards. My canister light usually packs high entertainment value at the screening point (heavy cylinder, shrink-wrapped something inside it, big wire coming out...) but I've always gotten it on. Sometimes I have gotten crescent wrenches through, sometimes not. As caveseeker says, cylinders would be tough unless they were rebreather bottles or ponies just by virtue of the sheer mass. Outside of really specialized stuff, why take one at all? Aren't they pretty much available everywhere there is diving?

Edit - I now see this was in the rebreather category. You have to take the bottles. Maybe just advise them to get a big Pelican for the whole unit and check it.

I just came back from a trip to Cabo and the airline screeners at the security checkpoint were not hgoing to let me carry my rebreather tanks onto the plane. They called the supervisor, who checked the tanks with a flashlight, looking closely at the inside and then told the "new guy" to let them go.

I think I got lucky or else I would have had to go OC or something when I arived in Cabo.

It is getting harder and harder to travel with the RB tanks.

roni at Protech:

Hi Roni,

It seems to be hit or miss.. The TSA wants one thing but The airlines another..

I am glad Caveseeker posted the last link I put up..

My last trip at the end of August I really needed my tanks in checked bagage due to all the stuff I had. I did print out the "carry on" letter just in case the tanks were pulled.. WHat I did was attach a small penlight flashlight AND Continental airlines baggage policy (with a personal "thank you" note for keeping us safe - being nice can't hurt) to each tank stating they wanted tanks in checked baggage.. The tanks went though and were definately inspected.. I do know people who have had tanks stopped from checked baggage.. They refused to let me bring ANY tools on carry on, I had a small crescent wrench 2 or 3 allen keys and 1 nutdriver that had to either go with checked luggage or get taken. I also had to put my battery pack for my cannister light in checked baggage as well.. This seems like they went overboard and did a good job at screening, however when I reached GC and went to get something out of my waiste pouch I found out My small utility pocket knife (I forgot it was even in there) made it through security..

The best coarse of action is probably be prepared for both.. Try it in checked and if its stopped pull out the letter and bring it as carry on..

Thank you all for all the great info.

Base on reading the TSA requirements, the issue was the valves. He was required to send the tanks by cargo.

On a recent trip to Bikini Atoll I showed up at Continental’s check in at Boston w/ my rebreather bottles as carry on luggage. (One of my friends went thru before me w/ his tanks without any problem), however a supervisor was asked to decide on whether I should be allowed on. His response was NO tanks onboard his flight even though the valves were removed! I showed him the printout from the TSA web site and he didn’t care, sending me to check them. So much for the written rules! (ps. Roni, will be in Belize w/ a group from New England in the beginning of February and look forward to meeting you).

JoeA:
(ps. Roni, will be in Belize w/ a group from New England in the beginning of February and look forward to meeting you).

Are you coming to DEMA?
I will be in booth 1960 with the Belize Yacht club, best time to meet me will be in the after noon.

Roni

When carrying empty O2 clean tanks on airplanes, does anyone "prep" them to keep contaminants out? Completely draining or taking the tank valve off increases risk of contaminants entering the tank. Not good when valve goes back on and 100% O2 is introduced. Since I am about to go through this fiasco, I was thinking about simply placing a piece of paper over tank opening and taping it onto tank body. My 2 4L tanks fit into a small Pelican case. Any ideas? Thanks!

hornetplt:
When carrying empty O2 clean tanks on airplanes, does anyone "prep" them to keep contaminants out? Completely draining or taking the tank valve off increases risk of contaminants entering the tank. Not good when valve goes back on and 100% O2 is introduced. Since I am about to go through this fiasco, I was thinking about simply placing a piece of paper over tank opening and taping it onto tank body. My 2 4L tanks fit into a small Pelican case. Any ideas? Thanks!
It really doesn't make a difference if you put them in checked baggage (contrary to "TSA Official" regs .. I usually put plugs in my tanks to start with, but I can tell you when they inspect the inside of the tanks they will leave them open.. the will not reseal you tanks.. if you have you tanks on carry on, you can atleast close them yourself.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom