Is there a need for dry suit?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

kckskh

Registered
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Is there a need for dry suit??

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Hi peepS...i'm currently diving in the tropical region and i have a 3mm S Tek wetsuit.. I will be furthering my studies at the end of this yr in UK and i hope to dive there too.. Therefore, can i check if i can wear a double wetsuit 1 3mm inside, perhaps another 5mm or even 7mm outside.. is it ok? Or do i have to purchase a wetsuit? I should be diving In newcastle Upon tyne

Yo, dog. :wink:

I take it when you say, "Or do i have to purchase a wetsuit?", you mean 'drysuit'?

If so, I personally wouldn't get a drysuit just for one trip unless you plan on doing quite a lot of cold water diving. I've done the Queen Charlottes in a wetsuit and although I don't recommend that, it was ok for the one trip, and that's about as cold as water gets.

(Although when I realized how addictive cold water diving was, I did eventually get a serious drysuit.)

I guess it depends on how many dives you plan on doing and in what temperature. The good thing about diving dry, even if for just a while, is always having the skills to do it again if needed.

In cold weather and water - dry is best. Last night there were four of us diving. One had a wetsuit. Water was 48 F. The diver in the wetsuit was happy to get out of the water after 30 minutes. Two of us in drysuits continued for nearly an hour and weren't cold at all.

By September the water in Ireland/UK waters is still quite warm (15C). Most Irish divers would be diving in a two piece 7mm neoprene suit at that time of year- a drysuit isn't necessary until Nov/Dec unless you plan on doing repetitive dives. I would recommend investing in the drysuit if you plan on doing regular cold water diving, especially if it is more than one per day. Although if it will just be the odd dive while you are over a two piece 7mm should do you. Also, I've seen some divers wearing two wetsuits, one under the other and experiencing quite a sever squeeve in trying it. If you plan on doing it I suggest bringing a container/flask of luke warm water and pooring it through the layers before diving.

subaquaman:
By September the water in Ireland/UK waters is still quite warm (15C). Most Irish divers would be diving in a two piece 7mm neoprene suit at that time of year- a drysuit isn't necessary until Nov/Dec unless you plan on doing repetitive dives. I would recommend investing in the drysuit if you plan on doing regular cold water diving, especially if it is more than one per day. Although if it will just be the odd dive while you are over a two piece 7mm should do you. Also, I've seen some divers wearing two wetsuits, one under the other and experiencing quite a sever squeeve in trying it. If you plan on doing it I suggest bringing a container/flask of luke warm water and pooring it through the layers before diving.

15C?? B'jaysus, I can dive that naked! :wink:

15c from the surface to the silt?? (I have folks there and I've been looking for a good excuse to get some diving in.)

Hi! i'll be studying in thew Uni of Newcastle Upon Tyne for the next 3-4 yrs but i do not know how cold will the water be... I plan to dive frequently though..something like two local trips a mth or something? Any more advice? Wondering if i can don two wetsuits instead of buying a dry suit which is really quite ex.

Oh, and if two wetsuits are fine, i'll be getting the second piece 1 size bigger.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom