Is there a "hardest cert/most stringent certifier?"

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Accident Prevention & Problem Solving

Chapter 9

Table of Contents

Diving Accidents 9:1

Accident Prevention 9:3

Diver Preparedness 9:6

Stress Management 9:8

Basic Problem Solving 9:12

Problem Solving Protocols 9:17
Rescue Procedures & First Aid

The Role of a Rescuer 9:24

Basic Rescue Procedures 9:26

First Aid Procedures 9:36

First Aid Equipment 9:46

Knowledge Assessment 9:47

Its still not a focus of the class. In a rescue class its the entire point of the class.

In every fundamentals I've been a part of (only like 5), its been minimal to nonexistent except for the unconscious diver thing on the last day.

What was it like in your fundamentals class?

Its still not a focus of the class. In a rescue class its the entire point of the class.

In every fundamentals I've been a part of (only like 5), its been minimal to nonexistent except for the unconscious diver thing on the last day.

What was it like in your fundamentals class?
It's pretty much only the last day and only if somone is going for a tech pass. It's still useful, but it is just the first part of a successful rescue.However I did from a lot deeper than I remember doing in a PADI rescue class, and the whole dry suit part wasn't covered at all in the PADI course.

I have both PADI rescue and Fundamentals coming up as my next 2 courses. So it'll be interesting to draw a comparison. One thing that should be noted is that PADI makes you do EFR whereas GUE doesn't require any formal first aid certification. However, most people who have a 'DIR' attitude would draw their own conclusion that first aid is a good thing to have.

Accident Prevention & Problem Solving

Chapter 9

Table of Contents

Fundamentals doesn't really follow that book. It follows the Fundamentals workbook pretty much exclusively. The only thing in there is unconscious diver lift (for tech pass). The rec 1 book, Beginning With the End in Mind, is just for reference. If you are going for a rec pass, fundamentals doesn't really do any rescue at all.

GUE cover rescue techniques during fundamentals and recreational 1. It's their belief every diver should be able to rescue in the water.

GUE instructors don't teach rescue in Rec 1, at least now.
It seems to me that the course I took was shorter than the course taught when it was introduced, so rescue may have been postponed to Rec 2

Last edited:

I agree that GUE training is definitely more rigorous. I took their Fundamentals Rec Pass last June after diving for over 15 years and just under 500 dives. I learned more in one course than I did in my path from PADI OW to MSD. If I could do anything different it would be to take the course earlier in my diving career. I would have been a better overall diver then. One big difference between GUE and other agencies is that you earn your certification and have to keep working to maintain it (Rec pass renews every 3 years). Looking forward to a new path in diving.

Back
Top Bottom