Is there a compatible basic Inflator option for the SS1?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

If isn't the hose, it is the shrader fitting that cannot supply the necessary flow rate for a breathing supply.

there is no secret on the Atomic hose at all. You can breath SS1 via the so called "thicker" hose, while non SS1/Air2 users are breathing a regular 2nd stage via a standard LP hose. I don't see any of them suffering from lack of air flow. The max psi rating is psi more related to burst psi, not operating psi. I think you shop tech either has no idea what he/she is doing, or trying sell you an expensive Atomic LP hose.

In fact, last time I own a Atomic SS1 hose, I remember the quick release fitting can be screwed off. It is just a SS1 fitting onto a regular but Atomic brand LP hose. Since you are swapping SS1 anyway, you can simple take off that fitting and put a regular inflactor fitting on the hose.

hopefully the dive shop was not giving you a line of BS. What is true is that you can not breath from a standard BC inflator hose because the valve at the end of the hose does not have enough flow rate. The pressure in the hose is governed by the first stage of the regulator. So the 450 psi stuff IS BS.

Take the whole SSI off and send it to me. I will have a brand new standard inflator and a new hose shipped to you. it will be very simple to replace the inflator and the hose. I don't know that I would add more hardware to convert one hose to another.

I saw this at the LDS, but the tech cautioned that the standard inflator head can't properly support the increased pressure that the air2/SS1 LP hose provides (450 vs 250 psi if memory serves).
I'm thinking the overall answer is a resounding NO for just simple interchangability of the heads on the same hose. Thanks!
Local tech who services most of the gear for dive shops in the area, as well as being closely associated with Huish / Atomic, told me the standard LP inflator hose with an adapter won't provide sufficient air flow for an SS-1 or Air 2. I didn't bother asking him details at the time, but for some reason flow limitations through the Schrader valve provide way less air flow than an SS-1 or Air 2 hose. A friend put the Zeagle version of an Air 2 on his wing, kept the same inflator hose and used an adapter and wasn't very happy with how the thing breathed

The adapter for your SS1 hose takes it from the SS1 hose down to a regular K-type inflator, not the other way around. You won't be trying to breathe from the K-type inflator, will you? :wink:

The adapter for your SS1 hose takes it from the SS1 hose down to a regular K-type inflator, not the other way around. You won't be trying to breathe from the K-type inflator, will you? :wink:

Ha, no not at all! Here's what I was trying to accomplish. If I dive set up as a single back mount tank and needed a secondary air source, I would like to use the SS1.
If I set up as side-mount rig with two independent tanks and regs, I don't need the SS1 as (another) secondary air source, and would like to unscrew the SS1 head and replace it with just a basic K-type inflator to streamline. I'm going to check out if one of these LP hose adapters will work this spring/summer once I can get out into the water.

In fact, last time I own a Atomic SS1 hose, I remember the quick release fitting can be screwed off. It is just a SS1 fitting onto a regular but Atomic brand LP hose. Since you are swapping SS1 anyway, you can simple take off that fitting and put a regular inflactor fitting on the hose.
That's exactly how it works with my scubapro AIR2, sounds reasonable for the similar Atomic SS1 to be the same.

I use a LP hose and carry several adaptors in my gear box. Dive Gear Express sells them for a reasonable price.
Adapter: LP Reg Hose = BC Integrated 2nd Stage
I believe the SS1 uses the Scuba Pro style
While I normally run a standard LP hose with an adapter to supply my Octo Inflator, I have to swap to a standard BC inflator adapter to use my IP gauge to periodically check my 1st stage health.

Ha, no not at all! Here's what I was trying to accomplish <snip>

I was replying to a different post, sorry for the confusion - I should have quoted it!

That's exactly how it works with my scubapro AIR2, sounds reasonable for the similar Atomic SS1 to be the same.

I have an Air2 hose that the QD is not like that. It's built all as one. I am pretty sure we have a SS1 hose that's the same way.

I keep forgetting the fittings are now threaded.... The ones from my generation were crimped on....

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom