Is the Speigel for Novices??

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

baitedstorm:
:11: :11: :11:

NEGATIVE!!!!! A DiveMaster is absolutely NOT your babysitter. Don't you dare think for one single second that someone else is going to save your butt when "it" hits the fan. That is a false sense of security I see divers create for themselves in order to feel all warm and fuzzy inside, specially when they know damn well they have no business on a particular dive. The excuse I hear most often... "Well, there will be a DM in the water with me". My reply, you are a certified diver and I expect you to act like one.

If you (you being any novice diver reading this post) want a training sessions, hire an Instructor, take your AOW, specialties in wreck and deep dives, get a few dives under your belt, then go down (safely) and check the girl out. She's worth it, but not worth your life.

ScubaDad, please note that I'm not barking at you :) , I just want people who might pick this thread up now and a year from now to understand how very important it is to be properly trained before diving such an advanced dive. A DiveMaster (nor an Instructor for that matter)can not be at your side for the entire dive (unless they are your personal DM/Instructor for the trip) and even then, are they willing to risk their life for yours? Is that really a reasonable request?
Silly little things down there can kill even the best divers. Lets make sure our newbies are as safe as we can keep them, after all, think about how close together the inflate and deflate button on your BCD is. Someone with, lets say 4 dives, could very easily confuse the too, inflate their BCD at the bottom of the SG and bolt to the surface. All over less then an inch and an honest, common little mistake.

Long live Queen Vickie, in who all truth resides! :D

Anyway, very well said, and thanks for saying it.

scubafool:

so how come you never say that about me? :06:

ah well... that's ok.. never mind about my feelings... i'll just
go back to my coffin until i can go to court tomorrow

scubafool:

y'all that know me ,ahem, know I'm certainly no dive NAZI....

SB is my home full of my family (even if I don't know them), if I found out something bad happened to one of our divers (any diver for that matter) and I did absolutely nothing to maybe somehow stop it, slow it down, or something along those lines, it would eat me up inside.
I love our sport and welcome everyone with open arms, I encourage divers to dive, but be safe first. As a brand new diver, I'm already impressed with WinDuck's "Dive Off switch" being right at his/her finger tips (yay you!!! good pharse, I'm gonna have to use that one). I wish all our divers felt (and acted) the same way.

WinDuck, if you ever want to come to West Palm and dive, let me know, I'll dive with you for certain!

I would suggest that you do the Eagle. This wreck sits at 115 feet but the deck can be reached at 80-90 feet. Except for a dive last May, I never encountered strong currents on this wreck. And, it is really nice wreck with all kinds of sealife.

Or, go down to Big Pine and dive the Busch. This is truly the best training site for new wreckers. it sits at 100 feet and the deck is 80 feet. I dive this wreck 3-4 time every summer and have never had currents. The viz suffers, but then again, that is what makes it fun!

But first, cut your teeth on the reefs and Benwood. Get that comfort level first. BTW, hiring a DM to go with you probably is a bad idae. The SG is an advance dive. If you have not trained in conditions which you were certified, then get more trainig befor you atemp a dive like the SG. It is a spectacular dive. t will still be there next year. waiting for you!

WinDuck:
Is the Speigel for Novices??
NO. Absolutely not. Not to try to be superior and not to be preachy, but save it for when you are more experienced, and you can enjoy it in a safe and sane manner.

There is no need to rush to do everything at once. Chances are that the SG will still be there in a year or two when you are so ready you don't even ask these kinds of questions. Play it smart so that you are around also.

Besides, down the road when you are truly ready Grasshopper, you will enjoy much more time on the wreck and you will be able to focus more on the wreck itself, and it will be much more enjoyable.

Just my suggestion, as one that has dove there a few times.

Wristshot

H2Andy:
so how come you never say that about me? :06:

ah well... that's ok.. never mind about my feelings... i'll just
go back to my coffin until i can go to court tomorrow

Long live Queen Andy, in whom no truth resides!

There, do you feel better now? :lol2:

Thanks so much for all the advice and support. You know what they always say, "If you thought it was hot, why did you touch it." I am no fool, or I try not to be. There is no shame in being a novice. Everyone started at sometime or another, and plan on surviving the start. I am a bit of a safety fanatic, wanted to buy that shark electronic repellent thingy...LOL....I really needed validation of my "gut feeling", not wanting to think that I am just being a bit overly causious, and who am I to question. Even though I tend to question everything. Also believe you me, I don't follow anyone blindly anywhere. Occupational hazard. I do have team trust but that is earned over years of working together, but know when it is my hiny on line or without a line depending on how you look at it.

Just a footnote update. I found out today just an hour ago, that dive is now Off. Buddy has to have another surgery so no diving allowed. So I will be a crabby landlover, instead of being a www, and I am okay with that. Safety First and I can dive another day.

That bites WinDuck, look forward to meeting you when that "Dive on Switch" flips again and ya'll find your way back to Florida!

I've heard the Spiegle Grove referred to as the "Mecca" of wreck diving. Having performed a couple of dives on the Grove myself (one without current, one with RIPPING current) I can honestly say that you have to have confidence in your abilities, and KNOW what your abilities are, and when the right time to use them is. Remember, a trip to Mecca is only required once in a lifetime - you don't have to rush to get there! By your having the gut instinct to NOT dive the Grove immediately, I recommend you gain more experience & comfort underwater first. When your buddy gets healthy, log some dives with him/her that are within your ability, and when you start to feel more comfortable, take your AOW course. Continue your education into diving, you'll gain experience, and confidence to handle the "what if's" if they arise.

I just did a paid DM/guide for an OW diver on his first trip to the Grove last Sunday.
He has dove for years in lots of places, but never deep wrecks.
I showed him around & helped him out with a few things, but did NOT baby-sit him.

A DM/guide is there to Guide & assist, NOT take responsibility for your life.

I would NOT take someone just out of OW class to the Grove.

Stick with your OW limits (60fsw) till you are ready to move on. You will know when, then take AOW from a good instructor. Maybe even do it in the Keys, the Grove makes a good Wreck & Deep specialty.

Keep thinking, and dive safe.

https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom