Is the Sony Dsc N2 a good newbie setup?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Mampsa

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
Ey Guys,

Somebody is going to give me a free marine pack for the Sony DSC N2, just the casing so i'd have to buy the camera.

Is this camera any good for underwater photography for newbies? I didn't see any underwater feature on the camera menu.

Wetpixel.com has hardly any reviews for this model, maybe somebody here in SB can give me first hand experiences with this camera. All comments welcome.

Thanks

I looked at the specs for this camera on Steve's Digicams

The camera does have manual controls over F stops and shutter speeds but it does not appear to have custom white balance capability.

In my opinion you should not purchase any camera for underwater use that does not have custom white balance capability.

Sony makes the MPK-NA marine pack housing for this camera but you should check to make sure it gives you access to all the cameras features if you insist on buying this camera.

oh thanks.

Without the manual white balance will it be impossible to shoot defined photos? Meaning all photos will either be blue or green?

Mampsa, I have DSC-N1 which uses the same housing and more or less is the same camera with N2. The housing does not give access to the (most important) functions of camera and this due to the fact that everything is handled through the touch screen.
Even though I have made some decent photos most of the photos require some post processing with Photoshop. if you combine this with the absence of manual white balance then it's not a good choice.

Mampsa:
oh thanks.

Without the manual white balance will it be impossible to shoot defined photos? Meaning all photos will either be blue or green?

Yes, unless you use a Magic Filter which fits over the camera's lens inside the housing and is not designed to be used with the camera's strobe. That limits you to non-strobe shots only.

Back
Top Bottom