Is the sewage malfunction at Kelvin Grove real?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Agamemnon

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
I noticed the sewage malfunction at Kelvin Grove was mentioned in another post and didn't want to hijack but is that malfunction real? I saw the very unofficial looking piece of paper stuck to the baracade thingy at the entrance but discounted it as b.s. and dove anyway. Sure hope i was right! It didn't look like an official notice to me - does anyone know if it is?
thanks!
A.

Hmm, interesting. The restrooms at Kelvin (actually the septic tanks just in front of the restrooms) have been smelling like $hit for at least the last 6 months or more. I wonder if there is anything new, or did they just recognize the problem now...

I believe it has to do with un-treated raw sewage being leaked / dumped into the water. This is second hand from a DM friend, but given the signs people have reported, I'll be avoiding it!

Here is the skinny. I got a call back from the Lions Bay office and they are completing the upgrades to the sewage system this weekend. I asked if there was raw sewage going into the bay and she said no it has always been the same they are just finishing the upgrades to the system. So they are recommending to not use the beach area this weekend.

Here is the skinny. I got a call back from the Lions Bay office and they are completing the upgrades to the sewage system this weekend. I asked if there was raw sewage going into the bay and she said no it has always been the same they are just finishing the upgrades to the system. So they are recommending to not use the beach area this weekend.

If it has always been the same why are they recommending to not use the beach, and those signs have been up for almost 2 weeks!

hmmmmmm

i went diving there a couple of weekends ago. Sign was up, and the concrete pad outside the washrooms smelled excrementy, but didn't see any floating in the water. We swam out east, right past the SEWAGE sign, and it was poop-free at least to 100'.

Back
Top Bottom