Is the s100 in the Ikelite housing indeed FULLY manual?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Karen Dancheck

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
I am thinking about getting the s100 / Ikelite housing. I was just told that in that housing the camera is not really fully manual. I want to easily be able to change the ISO, Aperture, and Shutter speed. Can I access all the manual functions of the s100 with the Ikelite housing?

Thanks
Karen

you cannot access the rear wheel for shutter speed but it's been said you can set it once in Tv then return to M to adjust aperture (never tried since i kept my shutter speed at 160 for WA while on M, and custom set for 500 while doing macro). other than that, "full manual"

The ikelite and canon housing don't give access to the front wheel but there are workarounds
Considering the number of posts about issues with ikelite housing plus the fact that the inon lens are superior to the époque the ikelite housing can host I woul personally opt for a canon housing

Never had an issue with the ike while I had it. Only the pet peeve of no rear wheel access...

Ask Ikelite in their Mfr's forum here on SB: Ikelite

Thanks everyone for your posts. I am coming from using an Olympus SP 350 where you can adjust everything quickly and easily...for when that Manta swims and I am set up to photograph a blenny!

Hi Karen,

Ikelite's housing is not fully manual but when setting a fixed aperture of about f/5.6 and using the front dial to control shutter speed you can pretty much accomplish any shot. As mentioned before here in the forums, you can quite quickly switch to Av mode ,change the aperture and go back to M. This combination will allow you to do almost anything quite easily.
The results you will get from this bundle which costs around $725 are quite amazing but if you are able to push your budget , the S100 will be much easier to shoot with in a Fix housing.

So if you consider value for money , the Ikelite / Canon S100 is probably the best bundle in the market.

Don't forget as with all Canon cameras, you do not have TTL in M mode which means you have to adjust strobe power manually and that along with the cumbersome controls on the Ikelite housing may be a challenge if you're an all manual shooter.

I posted a full review on the camera/housing setup here:
https://www.housingcamera.com/Canon-S100-Underwater-Ikelite-Review-a/317.html

Good luck.

Am not sure if there is a different firmware in your camera but on my s95 if I hit S and the rear dial nothing happens at all?

On the s95 at least, you can work around the rear wheel limitation in Ikelite by holding down the "S" button while pressing left or right on the wheel.

There are workarounds or that using the CHDK hack
One option is to shoot in Tv mode and use CHDK to override the aperture the other is to use my CHDK script that enables TTL in manual
I have now fully tested it and works perfect I will post some shots soon

Don't forget as with all Canon cameras, you do not have TTL in M mode which means you have to adjust strobe power manually and that along with the cumbersome controls on the Ikelite housing

Back
Top Bottom