Is the Phuket Hilton in a good area?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

SBP Studios

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
I watched a show last night about the Tsunami and they said certain beaches got really wrecked more than others.

Any ideas which ones got it the hardest? We are thinking about staying at the Hilton on Karon?

scrapdizzy:
I watched a show last night about the Tsunami and they said certain beaches got really wrecked more than others.

Any ideas which ones got it the hardest? We are thinking about staying at the Hilton on Karon?

Things are back to normal on Phuket. Karon suffered mainly some erosion to the dunes that separate the road from the beach, but everything is fixed. If you are looking for a big resort in a bustling tourist town, the Hilton will work well for you. Karon beach is a long, sandy stretch good for swimming and general beach activities.

Hilton is great. Karon did not suffer a huge amount of damage and please try to remember that this was more than 2 years ago.

Have a look here: www.sunrise-divers.com/tsunami-photos.php

Note the photos of Karon on Dec 26th 2004 and then 2 days later. Was a very odd couple of days for me. For a long time I thought everywhere was like Karon and the damage was very limited.

Hope to see you in Karon.

Jamie

Thanks guys!!

So the Hilton is nice?? We are using Hilton points and are basically getting a free 5 nights out of the deal. We wanted to stay in the nicer part of Phuket, is that it?

We are there on business anyway but only for 1 day, then its all about the fun.

What type of reccomendations do you have for activitives?? Other than the Diving obviously which is a must.

The Hilton is great and Phuket looks great there is no indication of any damage that I have seen. Have a great time! There is a great party area with lots of shops, clubs etc. Massages are cheap as well.. just be careful on getting a massage as you may get more than a back massage.... (-: The diving to me is just "ok"... it is too much like cattle boarding- (In my opinion). We did a livaboard and other diveshops would bring boats of people to our boat to dive an leave..Most of them were upset as they felt rushed to do their dives and get back on the small speed boat back to shore.

We did a livaboard and other diveshops would bring boats of people to our boat to dive an leave..Most of them were upset as they felt rushed to do their dives and get back on the small speed boat back to shore.
Most boats don't operate this way. A 4 days/4 nights (or longer) liveaboard trip will be very relaxing, and not give any idea of cattle boats.

Hilton - nice, kind of sleepy, boring if you ask me. They check incoming vehicles now (or at least last year) for bombs underneath, the only place I've experienced that in Phuket.

Before the Baht collapsed in 96-97, I think it was called the Laguna, or something like that.

MoonWrasse:
Hilton - nice, kind of sleepy, boring if you ask me. They check incoming vehicles now (or at least last year) for bombs underneath, the only place I've experienced that in Phuket.

Before the Baht collapsed in 96-97, I think it was called the Laguna, or something like that.

Other reccomendations?

By the way Scrapdizzy
Forgot to mention that the Hilton is great. I am a member as well and the facilities there are really nice. Also excellent restaurants. The Sunday morning buffets are very popular at the Sails restaurant. If you like Thai food the Sweet and Sour Prawns and Beef in Oyster Sauce are the best. For a club sandwich with a difference try one at the deli there.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom