Is the late forties too late to train to become a divemaster

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I guess that all depends on how long you plan to live...

Old is a state of mind. I completed my DM when I was 60, and my Instructor course just past 61, I was not the oldest in the group. I will start my Tec Diver course next week in Utila with UDC, and very much looking forward to it. I like to think of myself as merely 31 for the second time

I'm going to AI and I'm 49. So no you aren't too old.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I just got my DM and I'm 52. My buddy did his at the same time and he is 57. So........I don't think you're too old....go for it. Now on to Instructor!

This tread is over a year old folks, hope he's made his decision by now.

This thread maybe be helpful to those of us who are or have considered the same decision. It appears to me that the OP posted Sept 6, 2012. I think that was less than 4 months ago!

Last edited:
Buzzkill!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Old is a state of mind. I completed my DM when I was 60, and my Instructor course just past 61, I was not the oldest in the group. I will start my Tec Diver course next week in Utila with UDC, and very much looking forward to it. I like to think of myself as merely 31 for the second time

I did my first DMing last August at age 58. MY question is - Is your early 60s too young to "retire" from DMing?

Hi I am in my late forties and I am considering doing a dive master internship in Cyprus. There are internships in Cyprus that will take me from a beginner to dive master in a relatively short time. In a couple of weeks I will be in Cyprus doing voluntary work with a conservation group protecting birds from poachers. I have always wanted to learn to dive and whilst I was out there I thought I could take the opportunity to do so. I have had a long time dream to work in wildlife conservation and as a dive master I would be able to find work in my chosen field. I would like some advice as to whether this is a realistic goal as I don't really know how hard this would be for someone of my age with a reasonable level of fitness. Any advice on this would be much appreciated.

Hell, I am 53 and working on mine...! Please tell me its not to late to help others enjoy the sport I took up much later than I should have!!! :) lee

Geez... Now I am rethinking taking that Fundies class...! (kidding)

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom