Is the late forties too late to train to become a divemaster

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

doghawk

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
Hi I am in my late forties and I am considering doing a dive master internship in Cyprus. There are internships in Cyprus that will take me from a beginner to dive master in a relatively short time. In a couple of weeks I will be in Cyprus doing voluntary work with a conservation group protecting birds from poachers. I have always wanted to learn to dive and whilst I was out there I thought I could take the opportunity to do so. I have had a long time dream to work in wildlife conservation and as a dive master I would be able to find work in my chosen field. I would like some advice as to whether this is a realistic goal as I don't really know how hard this would be for someone of my age with a reasonable level of fitness. Any advice on this would be much appreciated.

I asked myself exactly the same when I decided to undertake my DM at the age of 37. As long as you're reasonably physically fit I would not envisage any problem although would be worth your while hitting the pool as often as you can as the swim and snorkel are against the clock. My view is that as the population gets ever older, older DM's and instructors will become more in demand.

There is an element of truth that working in a dive school is a young persons job (I work part time in the Canaries and 11/12 hour days 6 days a week does have an impact!!! but them maybe I'm old before my time!!!!!

Is age an issue? - don't be silly.

Are zero-to-hero courses good value? - there's a hundred threads on those already. Short answer - it depends what you want to get out of it.

Is being a DM a potential second career? - Not unless you have a substantial second income, or can otherwise live on your savings.

Do you need DM to work in conservation? - No.

I started diving in my late thirties, not that long ago. I have found that diving in cold water is much more physically demanding than diving in warm water (your gear is bulkier, you have to carry more weight in order to descend which means more weight on you during entry and exit, and the cold saps your strength, even with a good suit). You are from the UK but plan to train to be a DM in Cyprus. Do you plan to DM in Cyprus or in the UK? There is that adage about "fight like you train and train like you fight" which I think is appropriate - IMO if you want to learn whether or not DMing it too physically demanding on you at your age, first learn to dive well in the waters where you plan to DM before you invest the money on DM training. From what I have seen of the BSAC system, it is excellent.

Hi I am in my late forties and I am considering doing a dive master internship in Cyprus. There are internships in Cyprus that will take me from a beginner to dive master in a relatively short time. In a couple of weeks I will be in Cyprus doing voluntary work with a conservation group protecting birds from poachers. I have always wanted to learn to dive and whilst I was out there I thought I could take the opportunity to do so. I have had a long time dream to work in wildlife conservation and as a dive master I would be able to find work in my chosen field. I would like some advice as to whether this is a realistic goal as I don't really know how hard this would be for someone of my age with a reasonable level of fitness. Any advice on this would be much appreciated.
I'm doing my DM training now. Nearly done, in fact. I'm 48.

The nicest thing about a DM course, if done while traveling or in a location where there is plenty of water (and you have the time to invest in it) is you can get a lot of diving done. I believe you learn a lot more on any given tech course that you will on a DM course. But the in-water time you get with a good DM course (specially with one where you intern in a dive every day destination), is just unbeatable.

I did my DM in Utila (at UDC), and even if I have a lot of complaints about the whole system (more to do with the PADI system, the way everything is a sales pitch, etc), I had a month of diving, diving, diving, that if you take the time to do it correctly (by using it to practice things you learn from books, this boards and if you find it ... a good mentor) will give you lots and lots of experience for being in water. This is particularly important if you live in a landlocked (or very difficult to dive) location.

Now, regarding the age, most of this locations will be full of young people. I was 36 when I did my DM. It´s fine. You will be the old guy. What´s wrong with that? It´s even fun. Some take it as a way to regress to their youth, others just take the diving and then go to bed and sleep. You will get out of it what you put in it. If you do DM locally at a shop, age is non relevant really. It´s just an extension of your hobby.

If you can do DM, and then do some GOOD tech courses, then you will probably get the best of all.

What you may want to check into (do a search here) is employment opportunities for divemasters.

Many here in the states work for free(diving) or tips unless they're employed to work on a local boat. Or also work at a local store. At many Caribbean locations I've been to the entire staff - including the divemasters - are actually full-fledged instructors since the jobs are so much in demand, employers can require that. Also in some locations - Grand Cayman is one I'm familiar with - you have to be sponsored by a local dive operator (meaning they want to employ you) in order to get a work permit. Since they're hard to get, they go with instructors first.

IMO DevonDiver is right, to have a career as a divemaster means having another income. If you're interested in dive conservation work, look into becoming an AAUS certified diver - it's required at many research locations - including some where the only way you can dive there is to have it. American Academy of Underwater Sciences

I just did mine at the good old age of 54 it was a personal quest for me, I wont be changing careers anytime soon.

Cheers

Do you need DM to work in conservation? - No.

Actually in the UK it can be very useful as you need a CMAS 3* if you're doing academic courses that involve diving such as marine biology or archaeology.
If conservation work is being overseen by HSE I would imagine the same would apply.

I just did mine at the good old age of 54 it was a personal quest for me, I wont be changing careers anytime soon.

Same deal here. I finished my divemaster cert when I was 56.

Ron

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom